Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2013, 10:48 PM   #1 
sophiesukisalvador

Red face Help needed

HI. Recently got a male betta (named Salvador) 4 weeks ago, who when I first put in my tank was so very happy, blowing bubbles. Then noticed he was spending lots of time at the bottom and colour fading.

I bought him a heater and thought that would make a differece but not really. He sometimes lays next to it, but then goes down again. He was such a active fish now nothing. His colour has also faded and is not eating.

I have just done a 100% water change and have started the heater on a lower temp to build up gradually to 75F.

Is there anything else I can do?

Housing
What size is your tank? 4.5 Gallon approx
What temperature is your tank? at this stage probably 70
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 3 zebra fish

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 50% last week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% last week then 100% today.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? nothing. I use bottled spring water.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? n/a

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? yes
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? yes
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 4 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? changed water and bought heater
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? not sure.
sophiesukisalvador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:54 AM   #2 
Tikibirds

Quote:
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? nothing. I use bottled spring water.
That may be the problem or at least part of it. Is it distilled water? If so, the water is lacking nutrients the fish needs to be healthy.

Try slowly acclimating him to tap water but be sure to use water conditioner. Any one will do but the most popular are Prime by seachem (presonally I hate this one because it REEKS of sulfer) and Stress Coat by API.

what I would suggest is
1) buy the water conditioner
2) take out 25% of his water and replace it with 25% tap water that has conditioner in it.
maybe the next day or 2 days later- ae out 50% and replace with 50% tap water..till you get him to 100% tap water.

Quote:
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 3 zebra fish
This may be the other half of the problem. No idea if zebra danios are compatable with bettas or not but a 4 gallon tank is too small for 4 fish. Not just size wise but also by the amount of bioload (think ammonia) the water can hold. You can't see ammonia in the water but it can build up pretty fast and the ONLY way to remove it from an unfiltered tank is via water changes.

Like I said, I have no idea if the two species are comptable but the zebras may be stressing him out too. The only fish I have are 16 bettas and 2 clown plecos so..those are the only 2 I know much about - species wise.

I understand if you can't or don't want to - but is it possible to upgrade to a 10G tank? I know alot of people can't for various reasons but if you can, I would think about it. It will allow you to have more then just the betta and with a filter, once the cycle completes (it takes about a month or so and isn't as bad as it sounds on paper) matience is pretty easy. Less work for you to do then on smaller tanks.

He may also be cold. 70 is a bit chilly for them. 78-80 is ideal. eep an eye on him and see if he improves as the water gets warmer or if any other symptoms develop.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:41 AM   #3 
Pogthefish

I agree, I didn't even notice the spring water thing, but I would switch over to tap water. Also try taking a full cup of water BEFORE performing a water change and most petcos will test it for you for free. If you do it after you will get skewed results.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:02 AM   #4 
sophiesukisalvador

Thanks guys for your advice :)

I have taken the zebra fish out to give him more room and less amonia. I have a big live plant in the tank too on a piece of wood. Does that help with the amonia at all?
He is still on the bottom of tank with fins cramped up...

Thanks again :)
Old 04-17-2013, 05:31 AM   #5 
Tikibirds

take a good, long look at him. Do you notice ANYTHING that dosen't look right? Any fuzzy patches, color loss, inflamed gills, rapid gill movement? Big tummy, excessivly skinny?

Being clamped can be caused by any number of things ranging from stressed to an actual sickness.

Also - try shinning a flashlight on him and look to see if it looks like he is covred in what looks like pollen or gold dust - you are checking for velvet which is a parasite. Some bettas naturally have a gold tone to them but normally you wouldn;t see velvet withouot a flashlight.

Other then that, I am out of suggestions.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:48 AM   #6 
Pogthefish

Could you upload a picture?
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:58 PM   #7 
sophiesukisalvador

Hi.
Ok his colorhas definitely faded. His gills are breathing quite a lot There is no gold or fuzz or spots on him. This is the best pic I could get of him. This morning he was darting around quite fast when I disturbed him to take a photo.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #8 
sophiesukisalvador

If there is too much amonia in the water. What is the easiest thing to do?
Old 04-17-2013, 05:09 PM   #9 
10asartin

Proper water changes are key in reducing ammonia. I can not really understand from your post how often you are changing the water, but 50% weekly should work okay. The large water plant can help reduce ammonia levels also. If you are really concerned about ammonia levels I would recommend investing in a test kit and purchasing an ammonia clearing product that will convert ammonia into a less toxic form
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:21 PM   #10 
sophiesukisalvador

Thank you so much! I am a newbie to betta fish so I really appreciate the help. I will do a 50% water change tonight. I did a 100% 3 days ago.

I also have 2 female bettas both in separate tanks about 2.5 gallons and they are at room temp and are thriving! They are so happy making bubbles, eating well etc so just worried about my male.

When I left for work hw was swimming up the top and resting on a plant so fingers crossed he is starting to feel better.