Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2013, 11:24 PM   #1 
lmwaters

New from Kansas City. Need guidance!

Hello! So I just became the owner of a 3 year old betta that previously belonged to my sister. She is moving to Japan so I am adopting her betta. I really don't know anything about fish and really could use some guidance.

My parents went down to Tennessee to visit my sister and brought the betta back with them. They brought him over today and set him up in his tank while I was at work. When I got home from work, I noticed that his fins look a little clamped. When I have seen him before his fins did not look like this. I don't know if this is normal, but I am very worried about it. I really don't want anything bad to happen to him! I am worried that maybe the water isn't right for him? He has a heater so the water is at 72 degrees.

Is there anyone from the KC area that could give me some advice or maybe come and look at him if he doesn't get better? I've tried searching for help online but it is all so confusing. I am hesitant to do anything to the tank or water because I am afraid I will make it worse.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thank you!!
Lindsay
lmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:52 AM   #2 
Briz

One note, 72 is on the cooler side for the Betta's preferred temperature. It should be at 76-82. However, that alone shouldn't be enough to cause him serious problems. He may be stressed from the trip, and will unclamp his fins in a bit. It would be best to have someone local help you out though!

Members here will also provide explanations and answers to anything you need.
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:43 AM   #3 
lmwaters

Thank you. I will look into buying a heater that will keep the tank warmer. The heater that is in there now keeps it at 72 degrees but this is the one my sister has used for 3 years with this betta (his name is El Jefe).

I checked on him this morning before work and (maybe it is just my imagination) but I think his fins look a little more clamped than yesterday! He is still eating and swimming around though so the only problem is the clamping. I will try to take a picture on my lunch break and post it so that someone can tell me what they think.

I think I will also go buy a water testing kit to make sure the water is okay. My parents set up this tank and they really don't know anything about fish either, just followed instructions from my sister. I know they used tap water and put conditioner in. Another thing I am worried about is that they didn't let him get used to the water before putting him in. Could that be causing the clamped fins?

Thanks,
Lindsay
Old 04-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #4 
Briz

Could be! Testing the water is a good step to making sure his water quality isn't what's causing him stress.
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #5 
lmwaters

I am on my lunch break now and I think he looks a little better. I think the water is warming up more. Maybe you were right and it was stress from the trip and the water not being warm enough. I hope so! I am still going to test the water tonight, to make sure it is good. Here is a picture I just took. Thanks!!

Last edited by lmwaters; 04-16-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:04 AM   #6 
White Wolf

Hi and welcome :)

I'm still learning all about looking after bettas, but it looks to me that if the water level in the picture is all the water he has to swim in, perhaps the reason why his fins are clamped is because he doesn't have enough water to swim in, and stretch his fins ?
White Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #7 
lmwaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Wolf View Post
Hi and welcome :)

I'm still learning all about looking after bettas, but it looks to me that if the water level in the picture is all the water he has to swim in, perhaps the reason why his fins are clamped is because he doesn't have enough water to swim in, and stretch his fins ?
I think you may be right. This is the bowl my sister has kept him in for 3 years, and I think he has outgrown it. I think I will start looking for something bigger.

Thanks!
Old 04-17-2013, 11:07 AM   #8 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Hello lmwaters and welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place to learn about proper care for Betta fish. He is very pretty and I agree that he would enjoy a bigger tank to swim around in. Best of luck and be sure and keep us posted as to how he is doing.

You can get more answers about his care in the Betta fish care thread and also more help about what size of tank you need in the
Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats and Accessories thread. Be sure and post your questions there for more help....thanks and happy you have joined us !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:37 PM   #9 
lmwaters

Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I just set up my new aquarium for El Jefe. (I hope I did everything correctly!) I rinsed everything off with water before putting it in the tank. Then I tested the water and it was good. I waited an hour after adding the water to the tank, then I floated him in a cup for about an hour, gradually adding the new water to the cup. Then I let him free in the tank! He now has more room and the temperature is at 76 degrees. He does seem happier and his top fin looks better. Thank you all!

Last edited by lmwaters; 04-18-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #10 
NeptunesMom

You might want to add some more hiding spots. I always have at least 3 plants or a plant and a cave/log/house/etc... Welcome to the wonderful world of bettas. I'm not too far from you (about 2 1/2 hrs north), but I don't know if there is anyone in the KC area on here.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clamped fin, help me, kansas city