Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-16-2013, 01:16 AM   #1 
Donetta

Question about Betta Fins

Hello, I'm new here and this is my first post. I got my new Betta this past Saturday. He's in my newly planted 10gal tank. My question is regarding his fins. His fins seem a little thin on the outter edges, maybe 20% from the outward part in. It's not very bad I'm just wondering if there is anything I can do to help his fins. Maybe they turned like that because of the transition to the new tank. The water that he was in was hard at GH9 and my tank water is GH5. However, I did acclimate him very slowly over a 5hour period. This is the best pic I could get. I appreciate any help you could give.

Thank you Donetta
Attached Images

Donetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:40 AM   #2 
AyalaCookiejar

Generally speaking, the best thing to help their fins is just clean, warm water.

However, I personally use VitaChem in all my tanks. It strengthens their immune system and helps with fins healing. It comes in handy in my girls tank since I just set up my sorority and their has been a few fin nips and tears. Also, stress coat at a double dose can promote healing and won't have any bad side effects.

Stress coat is a water conditioner in itself and I recommend it if you do not use prime. VitaChem has many wonderful benefits. Its what it sounds like - fish vitamins. It will help them in more ways than one and I add it in along with my dechlorinator on every water change. However, VitaChem is pretty hard to find (I ordered mine online).
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #3 
Donetta

Hello, thanks for responding! I will follow up and get the VitaChem. I do use Prime, so you can't use Prime and Stress Coast at the same time? Or are you saying it's overkill?

Donetta
Old 04-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #4 
AyalaCookiejar

You can use both prime and stress coat - I have done it before. However I wouldn't use it long term even though you wouldn't be using enough to do harm. I'm just cautious about using too much conditioner.

You could use a regular dose of prime and a double dose of stress coat but I just used a regular dose of each. But technically, you'd really have to dump in half a bottle of dechlorinator to do any harm.

The stress coat contains aloe Vera that helps the fins heal and the VitaChem has properties that help both fins and boosts the immune system. Prime neutralizes nitrites and ammonia - its really only useful in that aspect if you have ammonia in your tap water, but it is also a good dechlorinator for removing metals which is one reason its highly recommended. Stress coat and prime are both highly recommended and I think its okay to just use stress coat for awhile if you don't have ammonia in your tap. I had to use both since I have ammonia in my tap.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #5 
Donetta

Hi, I understand what you're saying. It's best to only put into the tank what you need. With my first Betta I did add a lot of conditions at the recommendation of others. Then I actually read the packages and thought, wow these do all the same things!. Thanks for you help.

Donetta
Old 04-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Ayala has pretty much covered it Donetta! He should be doing great and in a little over a week you should start to see new growth at the tattered edges. The new growth will be white or clear so watch for that! And again, just clean warm water will do the trick!

He's a very beautiful betta by the way!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:28 AM   #7 
Donetta

I started with Vitachem in his food today. Also added Fish Protector to his water didn't have stress coat. I change his water 2x per week. Hopes that's sufficient?

Thanks
Old 04-20-2013, 02:37 AM   #8 
AyalaCookiejar

I would also add VitaChem directly to the water as it will help his fins and will not hurt. I'd use it indefinitely in all tanks if you have more than one.

I'm not sure what fish protector is but in a planted 10 gallon, two water changes should be fine for now and you can probably decrease it down to one a week in a couple weeks if its planted enough.

He's a lucky guy :) a big tank, live plants, and VitaChem are what all my girls have and the water parameters have been great since the third day it was set up.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:50 AM   #9 
Donetta

Good morning, yes I saw on the instructions indicating for fish and plants. I was concerned about adding to water column because I already dose fertilizers daily. I dose according to the PPS plan. You familiar? You have a sorority tank? Thank you!
Old 04-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #10 
AyalaCookiejar

Yes, I have a sorority in a ten gallon with 6 girls.

I dose fertilizers along with VitaChem and prime every water change.