Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #1 
Fastcash124

Many questions

windows 7 screen shot
Is my tank. 2.5 gallons and just got a filter today.

Has a little more light.

For the longest time I had him in a two gallon bowl without a filter and just did water changes. I bought a filter today but my Betta seems to hate the water flow. I have it turned all the way down and it's kind of bashing the plant too.
So my questions are:
Do bettas like current? (My guess is no because now he hangs out behind things that block the current but I saw some ppl on here using filters)
How well do plants help keep harmful chemicals away? (I'm thinking about getting more, any suggestions?)
Should Bettas have AQ salt in their tank?
Does Tetra Fungus guard work well? My betta has the white patches on his gills but now it sort of just looks like ulcers that haven't healed. They look like fungus when he's stressed though and he's had it for a while.
How long should I leave the fungus guard in the tank?
Should I put the extension on the filter to make it closer to the gravel?

Thanks
Fastcash124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:05 PM   #2 
Tonksy

Hey there, I don't know everything, but I'll help as best I can. :)

Do bettas like current? Some do, some don't. I suggest making a baffle for your filter if you want to keep it going. Here's a pretty good tutorial on how to make one> http://www.petfish.net/kb/entry/347/

How well do plants help keep harmful chemicals away? I'm new with NPTs, but I think that plants recycle the harmful chemicals in your tank. You'd still have to do water changes, but the plants help once the cycle gets going.

Should Bettas have AQ salt in their tank? No, not unless they're ill (and even then I would use epsom salt). They're perfectly fine without it.

Does Tetra Fungus guard work well? I'm not sure, I've never used this. If he's had it for a while (how long exactly?) it may not be an illness (but I'm not 100% on that).

Should I put the extension on the filter to make it closer to the gravel? Try the baffle first and see if that works. If it's still too strong, stuff a (clean) sponge in the filter to slow it down.
Tonksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:00 PM   #3 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Some Bettas dont mind the current if its a small one but sounds like your guy doesnt like it so I would follow the advise above and try and buffle it.

Plant in active growth can use us some of the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate so it depends on how many plants you have in your tank and if they are in active growth and fast growers. Anacharis, Hornwort, Banana plant, pennywort are all good fast growers and also Water Sprite, I have those in my 5 gallon and they do well but you still need to do the water changes for your size tank each week but they sure do help some.

I had never had to deal with fungus so I dont really know or can be of much help there but he does sound like he has a fungus so be sure and ask in the ER and Sick fish thread about that for more help.

If the baffle doesnt work yoy can get a filter sponge to help slow the current. Good luck and please ask if you need anymore help with anything.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:00 AM   #4 
Blue Fish

Do bettas like current? (My guess is no because now he hangs out behind things that block the current but I saw some ppl on here using filters)

Not usually. There a few who do, but rarely do they want any disturbance in their water, and it sounds like it's stressing your guy out.

First off, on a tank that small, you really don't need a filter. It's very, very hard to cycle something that small, and you only need a filter to cycle. I'd just take the filter out and then you don't have to worry about it. :)

But, if you want to use the filter (entirely up to you. :), make sure that you wrap a sponge around the intake tube on your filter so that it doesn't suck your beta's fins up in there and seriously hurt him.
Also, as has been mentioned, you can shove some sponging into the outflow on your filter, this will geatly cut down on the current. If you let the end of the sponging hang down into the water, this will cut your current to nothing, and you'll have a happy betta. :)

How well do plants help keep harmful chemicals away? (I'm thinking about getting more, any suggestions?)
Plants in active growth will help to keep your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels in check, but you'll still need to do regular water changes unless you have *lots* of plants, and your tank has cycled with them.

Should Bettas have AQ salt in their tank?
No. Salt should not be added regularly to bettas. It can be used occasionally for medical treatments, but shouldn't be used more than 10 days. Longer than that can cause organ damage.

Does Tetra Fungus guard work well? My betta has the white patches on his gills but now it sort of just looks like ulcers that haven't healed. They look like fungus when he's stressed though and he's had it for a while.

I've never used it, and this is actually a question that you'd be better off posting in the disease forum. :) Over there's a sticky you can fill out, and then there will be lots of people who can check out your information and provide help. :)

How long should I leave the fungus guard in the tank?
Post in the disease section. :)

Should I put the extension on the filter to make it closer to the gravel?
No, just wrap sponging around it so that it doesn't suck up your betta. :)

I hope that helps!! :) Oh, and cute betta/tank by the way. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:11 PM   #5 
Fastcash124

I'll bring the disease and Chem questions to the other sections of the forum. I'm kinda mad I got pressure into that filter haha. The filter is a sponge filter already so the sponges are already in there. I have the filter turned all the way down but I may keep it just because it seems to be cycling the heat in the tank. It was about 71 all the time now it's pretty solid at 75 so that's pretty helpful. I was thinking about putting a suction cup or something where the water lands
Old 04-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #6 
mushumouse

wait, is the filter the one you have in the first picture? that's called a "hang-on-back" filter- a sponge filter looks like this and is powered by an air pump. most filters will have sponge IN them for bacteria to grow on, which i think is what you mean, but blue fish is actually talking about covering the tube that sucks water from your tank into the filter on the back of the tank, because unfortunately it can also suck your betta into it and scrape them up. kind of like this:

if you've decided to keep using your filter, there's a great thread up top about how to baffle it with a plastic water botlle- this will help your betta out a lot by reducing the current further than the "low" setting on the filter, which is usually still too much for bettas. however, as someone with a 3 gal that has a filter, i would really recommend you invest in a water test kit sometime soon for your tank if you're going to keep it, and read the threads on cycling that have been stickied. with a filter in it your tank will likely start trying to cycle whether you want it to or not, and during the process there can be unexpected spikes in ammonia and nitrite that can hurt your fish. they happen really quickly in a small tank like this.

Last edited by mushumouse; 04-14-2013 at 01:47 PM. Reason: forgot the dimensions of my own fishtank, gone to get coffee
mushumouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:07 AM   #7 
Juditko

Cute tank! Love the Crab Shack.

I was a really happy camper when I quick jicking with my filter, got rid of it, and went to a total sponge filter with simple airstone...I've got a simple valve on the line to control the current. Buzz Betta likes it, too. They are cheap and oh so much easier to deal with...

Hope that helps.
Juditko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #8 
waterdog

Live plants are a great addition to any fish tank. They provide so many benefits, i.e., algae control, keeping and holding cycle, non damaging to delicate fins, and of course beauty.

Bettas are NOT saltwater fish so unless your treating a specific disease, don't use it! (I wouldn't add the peanut butter I see next to it either! lol)

If your going to use that HOB filter you are going to have to baffle it. It is not a sponge filter proper. You can click the link in my signature to learn about real sponge filters.

I have two questions. 1) are you closely monitoring your temp? Those heaters like you have are notoriously unreliable.
2) I see top fin bloodworms back there. Please tell me your feeding a better brand of pellets!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:43 AM   #9 
Fastcash124

Yeah, his pellets are Omega One, you can kind of see the red top in the darker picture. I almost decided against the filter but it is keeping the surface much cleaner and circulating the heat pretty well.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:38 AM   #10 
waterdog

Filters are the best course to healthier water. Cycling the tank creates a more natural and more stress free enviroment.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
current, filter, fungus, plants, tank