Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2008, 04:39 PM   #11 
Sarita

Ok so I've gotten some conflicting advice.

I got a ten gallon tank for free from a friend's dad along with a sponge filter with nice bacteria already chillin' in there. I need to get a hood + light, heater, master test kit, plants, and water conditioner.

Now, a guy at PetCo told me that a sponge filter would probably hurt a betta. This coming from a kid who doesn't keep fish. I wasn't sure who to believe!

Sponge filter: good or bad? I was going to put some plants in front of it to keep bubbles under control and away from my fishie.
Sarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 05:05 PM   #12 
okiemavis

A sponge filter is arguably the BEST filter for a betta, due to the low water flow. Clearly that kid has no idea what he's talking about.

The only thing I would worry about is a single sponge filter being enough filtration. If all you're stocking is a betta, that should be fine. If you decide to add tank mates at some point you should probably add another method of filtration.

Congrats on the free tank, that's awesome!
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 05:19 PM   #13 
Sarita

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiemavis
A sponge filter is arguably the BEST filter for a betta, due to the low water flow. Clearly that kid has no idea what he's talking about.

The only thing I would worry about is a single sponge filter being enough filtration. If all you're stocking is a betta, that should be fine. If you decide to add tank mates at some point you should probably add another method of filtration.

Congrats on the free tank, that's awesome!
Thanks for your help! I'm planning on just stocking a male betta - he'll have his own little palace in there.

So I'm thinking the start up costs with accesories from DrsFosterandSmith.com will be around $76.99 for: a 50W Stealth heater, Prime dechlor, whisper air pump, master test kit (Ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate), economy hood, 2 blue incandecent lights.

I'm probably going to get some gravel, some live plants, and a piece or two of driftwood as well.

Good deal?
Old 06-14-2008, 05:29 PM   #14 
beetlebz

personally id drop the extra 10 bucks (if that) and go with the florescent hood/light combo. the incandescent arent terrible but for the extra 10 bucks (i know its 15 bucks, but you have to buy bulbs too) the florescent hoods dont produce much heat, and include bulbs. it also makes adding plants if you want to later more feasible than the incandescents :)

oh and you can get the tetra automatic heater in a 50 watt size from wal-mart. I swear by the things for most all my smaller tanks.

that said, you cant go wrong with the rest of the stuff imo. oh and as a note the stealth heaters are AWESOME, I just personally prefer the ease of the automatic heater <shrug> its a couple bucks less at drs foster n smith but hey, its all personal preference. I use them because I can buy them locally too :)
beetlebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 05:34 PM   #15 
Flashygrrl

You want fluorescent lighting, not incandescent...those will heat up your water, possibly too much and also are pretty much useless for your live plants. If you get a hood that has the screw-in type then all you have to do is buy the screw-in compact fluorescent lights (pink or white, not blue: http://www.bigalsonline.com/StoreCat...Type=0&offset=)
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 05:52 PM   #16 
Sarita

Ok, switching from an incandescent to a fluorescent hood (with bulb included) brought the total up to $88.71.

I think all I need now are decorations. I was thinking some neutral gravel at the bottom, some live plants, and maybe some driftwood. Any suggestions?
Old 06-14-2008, 06:01 PM   #17 
beetlebz

well, you could go with something like a pygmy chain sword to fill in the bottom, not sure what would be ideal b/g plants for a 10g... but im sure someone will be able to help you out :)

for things like driftwood and gravel I always just head to my local pet store to save on shipping costs. for gravel it really comes down to whatever you like, provided its not a buffering substrate. just about any of the decorative gravels will be just fine! I get my driftwood locally to so I can pick out JUST the piece I want. they usually run 10-15 bucks here, but you can always add em later.
beetlebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 06:06 PM   #18 
okiemavis

You can also pick up some nice, natural looking pea gravel or sand at Home Depot. It generally runs around $4-5 for 50 lbs.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 07:15 PM   #19 
jeaninel

I have Anubias Nana, Crypt Wendtii and Java Fern in my 10 gallon. They fit the tank well and are easy, low light plants to grow.
jeaninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 12:39 PM   #20 
Sarita

If I'm thinking of just keeping a single betta and some java moss, with other nice decor, could I skip a light altogether? The room he'll live in will be very well lit most of the day, kept dark at night for him. Java moss is a very hardy, low-light plant.

Is just a tank topper/hood of some sort without a light an option?