Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-16-2013, 02:37 PM   #1 
knini09

Exclamation a week+ without eating :(

Hi, new beta, I got him on april 5th, brought him home, got him in the new tank, he has never eating since I got him, I fed him blood worm once cuz I though a week with no food was like the top, he eat those just fine but the Hikari pellets are like too much for him, I crush them, I put them whole, I dont know if give him more time to get used to the pellets, he is fading color, not lethargic just yet but he is slowing down and doing kind of like twitch swim... please help I dont know what else to do, did this happen to anyone before? did your betta eventually eat the food provided, I do really want him to eat the Hikari brand pellets.
how can such a little thing be so stubborn ugh will this eventually go away?
knini09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:52 PM   #2 
ryancalif

Lets start with the usual suspects...

What have you been doing as far as water changes? How often and how much?

Do you have a heater and thermometer for your tank?
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:03 PM   #3 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Many Betta will not eat for a few days when they get a new home it takes time for them to adjust and start eating. Could you get a picture of him or even better a video of has he is swimming ?
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:14 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Just for some reassurence, my Betta Rembrandt didn't eat for the first month that I had him, even keeping up on his water changes and making sure the flow wasn't too much and feeding him good food, he just wouldn't eat. Some betta's I've had eat the first day, so I think it's where you buy them from and how they were treated (even if they all come from the cup, Remmy was from PetSense and one of my girls was from PetCo but she ate the first day where Remmy didn't) It's all about getting them comfortable.

I'll wait further to see if you've got heater/filter/lighting ect.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:43 PM   #5 
knini09

ok sorry in my haste I forgot how important the specifications are, so here it is:
10 gal. tank, 9 neon tetras (I know about the dangers of them together but so far so good) I've had the tank for 6 months, last Thursday did a 30% water change, got a marimo in the tank, silk plants, he got 3 hide outs he loves, yesterday I got him back on the breeding cup as I wanted to make sure he eats to let him swim freely again, the neons are keeping the tank clean of his not wanted food. LOL... he hates it there, like it is the worse insult in his life, but I just want to make sure he is eating, when I first got him he was in it but he was kind of out of him to see so much space and be stuck in it that is why I let him out after two days and not eating, he was happy as a clam but not eating, then I just noticed him yesterday hanging in the bottom with no swiming and I just put him back on the breeding cup, he hates it, but this time he is not out until he eats.
I mean he really tries but he spits everything out so then should I just wait?
I would give you the water perimeters after I test tonight. I use API test kit.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #6 
knini09

Kaimu-Shin

this is him swiming in the tank freely picture was last week.
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #7 
knini09

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85vu9PY9jJI

This is a video of last week before I did the 30% water change. will try to upload a video of him as he is right now.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:09 PM   #8 
Starfish1

If he'll eat a bloodworm feed him that for a day until you get this all figured out, so at least he's not starving. You cannot feed bloodworms every day though because it will make them sick. One or two is fine as a treat.

From what I've read some bettas are picky eaters and if they were raised on live foods they don't like to eat plain old pellets, but I've never had this happen. Can you try to get him some frozen foods from the pet store and see if he'll eat that?

Also how often are you changing the water in the tank and do you have a heater? Bettas need 78-80 degree water so if he's too cold that could make him lethargic and have no appetite.
Starfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:15 PM   #9 
registereduser

He might be eating leftovers off the tank bottom. One of mine that has been in a bare bottom QT tank for a few weeks now was not eating at all. Then one night I left the uneaten pellets in the tank and the next morning they were all gone! Then I started seeing betta turds Now he is catching the pellets and nomming them before they hit the ground.

What do you feed the tetras? Maybe he prefers their food?
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:17 PM   #10 
knini09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish1 View Post
If he'll eat a bloodworm feed him that for a day until you get this all figured out, so at least he's not starving. You cannot feed bloodworms every day though because it will make them sick. One or two is fine as a treat.

From what I've read some bettas are picky eaters and if they were raised on live foods they don't like to eat plain old pellets, but I've never had this happen. Can you try to get him some frozen foods from the pet store and see if he'll eat that?

Also how often are you changing the water in the tank and do you have a heater? Bettas need 78-80 degree water so if he's too cold that could make him lethargic and have no appetite.
the tank has a heater, I did feed him bloodworms last sunday and he eat those, just fine I think he was happy he could eat something, he was actually trying to eat the flakes I fed to the neons, and so I changed their food to the micro pellets from Hikari so they were equals, I had this problems with the neons when I first had them but they eat after a couple of days, and I had to hand feed them as for the betta he is not curios enough to come near my fingers, I have noticed with the food change that my neons are happier and active, and their color have some what darkened I am happy with the brand.
I really hope he will eat, my pets are so spoiled like all of them have done this to me even my dog, shish I have such a luck but then Kaimu-Shin gets the price a week+ and he is still not eating. ugh.. no cool I tell you.!