Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #11 
Starfish1

If he was trying to eat the flakes then maybe try feeding him some of those again? Maybe he just doesn't like pellets but will eat flakes.
I personally would NOT limit him to one kind of food where it's either that or starve. That's not good for a betta. I would feed him some flakes if that's the only thing he'll eat along with some bloodworms once a week.
I would also try feeding him some NLS pellets before I completely ruled out pellets. They have garlic in them which bettas really like to eat. That is another thing you could try, soaking the food in garlic juice, from what I've read it can sometimes get a picky betta to eat.
Starfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #12 
knini09

ok so I went back to the store where I got him and they said they feed him bloodworms, so to wait up to two weeks with no food, but anyways I went ahead I got the omega one flakes/pellets the new life spectrum(that one hurt) and he already had the Hikari, so from those NONE is of his liking. my luck I would get the pickiest of them all... shish... so NOW WHAT???? like right now this is no funny at all...
knini09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:20 PM   #13 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Just keep trying everyday and eventually when he's hungry enough he will eat what you give him.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #14 
endurance12

Why dont you try soaking them in some garlic juice. If you have garlic flakes, just let them soak in water and then soak the pellets for a couple mins in the garlic. That might entice him to take a bite and give the food a try. :) Good luck!
endurance12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:28 AM   #15 
knini09

Quote:
Originally Posted by endurance12 View Post
Why dont you try soaking them in some garlic juice. If you have garlic flakes, just let them soak in water and then soak the pellets for a couple mins in the garlic. That might entice him to take a bite and give the food a try. :) Good luck!
garlic juice? get do I get this? thank you just fed him flakes and he spited it out so there is that... he is showing stress stripes, way to go... I am more stress than he is.. ugh!
Old 04-17-2013, 09:00 AM   #16 
ANHEL123

He looks completely fine on that video. And swimming fine, it just his tail is heavy that why it looks like he swims and twitch. And his color is perfectly fine on that vidio. I bought a lot of bettas for myself and other people , about 30. And i did have problem with about 6 of them. As soon as you give them blood worms they will refused pellets or any other food. One time it literally took me 3 or even longer weeks. But it easier for me because i have them on my table and i literally offered food 25 times a day. So if he is eating blood worms and swimming the way on that video he is fine. Just keep offering and remove uneaten food so it don't contaminate the water. You can try to offer pellet , you can try to chip them to tiny pieces,crush it. Fast him a few days.
You saying that he is stressed. How big is his hospital tank? How often you do water changes. If you will acclimate him right way he will not be stressed. If it hospital tank you need to do 50% and 100% water changes a week. When you do 100% water changes you need to make sure new water match the old water temperature so you don't shock him with drastic temperature difference. Do you acclimate him if you do 100% water changes? Sorry i read briefly all threads if he is in small container then you need daily water changes.
For you tank you really recommended to do 50% a week with gravel vacuuming and filter media rinse/swish in the old water WITH a water change.

Last edited by ANHEL123; 04-17-2013 at 09:03 AM.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #17 
knini09

I don't have him in a different tank I put him in a breeder box those ones that float at the topside of the tank. He started showing the stripes yesterday after I put him in. I will leave him there until tonight there is not pony of keeping him there if he is not eating and will not eat anyways it seems he will eat or starve to death I hope he will not I got him all the good stuff but is of no help lets wait and see what I find when I get home.!
Old 04-17-2013, 03:01 PM   #18 
ANHEL123

give us update. I thought that he still eating blood worms? Or he is refusing it now? Sometimes betta take long time to adjust to food , especially store fed him with bw. So just need time and keep trying. That is why it better to keep him separate from other fish until he can eat .
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #19 
knini09

well I got home and he had still a little bit of the stress stripes on him, fed him blood worms he eat those fine, spit out a couple but that was it, I noticed that his fin is folding on itself, I read it is cuz of the stress, I let him go free after he eat and made a video which I hope you guys see, I am going to just watch nothing else I can do really. I really hope he will do better get better soon cuz I really love him.

he is laying at the bottom of the tank, sometimes he pick himself up but then comes back down again. so frustrating. ugh

Last edited by knini09; 04-17-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:33 PM   #20 
knini09

Exclamation video

this is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L61xUGJOrCE
Attached Images