Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #21 
Starfish1

He looks fine and perfectly happy! That's not a twitch that's just how bettas swim. He's very pretty.

Maybe just try the garlic juice on pellets next time you feed him?
Starfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:10 PM   #22 
knini09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish1 View Post
He looks fine and perfectly happy! That's not a twitch that's just how bettas swim. He's very pretty.

Maybe just try the garlic juice on pellets next time you feed him?
Thank you, that is reassuring, how about his fins? that does not look ok to me, he is seems better after eating the blood worms, got some colors on him ... he was literaly starving himself... will see how he improves... really hope so.. thank you he is cute but as he is cute he can be one little headache...!!! LOL...

ps. is it ok to use the chopped garlic jar juice? I mean I dont have garlic execpt for the one in the jar from the store...
knini09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:11 AM   #23 
VJM

This is kind of far fetched, but I am interested to hear what other folks think.

You have a piece of decor in your tank that is obviously not made for aquariums (the fire truck). A lot of toys have metal connectors or paint that can leach toxins into the water. If that is happening (a big if) lack of appetite wouldn't be surprising.

Since your guy is willing to eat something, it seems more likely that is just picky or unacquainted with dry pellets. However, you might want to take the truck out and do a water change, just to eliminate that variable.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:15 AM   #24 
Starfish1

Wow, great thinking and I think that would be worth a try! Could definitely be leeching metal, toxins from the paint, non aquarium safe plastic parts, etc. Definitely nothing to lose by taking out the firetruck, although it is cool :)

About the garlic, I'd just smash up a clove and soak a few pellets in the juice. I'd stay away from anything that has been open and could have bacteria in it from sitting in the fridge. Plus, a clove is cheaper :D

Let us know how he does!
Starfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:22 AM   #25 
knini09

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJM View Post
This is kind of far fetched, but I am interested to hear what other folks think.

You have a piece of decor in your tank that is obviously not made for aquariums (the fire truck). A lot of toys have metal connectors or paint that can leach toxins into the water. If that is happening (a big if) lack of appetite wouldn't be surprising.

Since your guy is willing to eat something, it seems more likely that is just picky or unacquainted with dry pellets. However, you might want to take the truck out and do a water change, just to eliminate that variable.
umm the fire truck is an aquarium ornament, I got it from petsmart and they have a whole firefighter theme, my son loves firefighter and wanted to get something for the fishes and it was the only small thing I could get, so I dont think is the firetruck, plus he has not eaten since I got him, so definetely spoiled on bloodworms, yes today is the day of the water change what would you recommend a 25% or a 50% ???? last time I did like 30% and it was cool to see them calmed during the process, how about his fin? do you think is fin rot? thank you for your answers ...
Old 04-18-2013, 08:28 AM   #26 
VJM

Petsmart sells a lot of stuff for aquariums that either is or can become toxic to fish. Based on past threads here, I sometimes think the list of safe things is shorter than the list of dangerous things. I think it is adorable, and if you don't want to take it out then you obviously don't have to.

Just spitballing on ideas.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:35 AM   #27 
knini09

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJM View Post
Petsmart sells a lot of stuff for aquariums that either is or can become toxic to fish. Based on past threads here, I sometimes think the list of safe things is shorter than the list of dangerous things. I think it is adorable, and if you don't want to take it out then you obviously don't have to.

Just spitballing on ideas.
Ugh and then I thought that if they sell it at such a large store it must be good, will definitely take it out and hope my son don't have a fit LOL ... So is there a link for the list? Would love to read it thx for the info
Old 04-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #28 
ANHEL123

I am glad you taking tat truck out. I was worry about it.
You need to do weekly 50% water changes with gravel vacuuming and filter media rinsing for one fish ,since you have more than one fish in that tank i would do a few water changes a week and one of them would be 50%. Never afraid to do water change, especially for betta.
I agree with starfish , and like i also said it before he is acting completely normal .
About food i would keep trying, and remove uneaten food so it don't sink to the bottom and decompose/contaminate the water. The NLS the best pellets but they not floating , sink right away to the bottom though. Keep trying to feed him, he eventually will eat. Like i said one betta took me 3 weeks. I tried flakes, crushed pellets. It just i don't like so much food sinking to the bottom , i think it one of the cause that fish can get sick. So do more water changes to keep it clean or keep him in the separate tank if you can until he eats.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #29 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

The NLS Betta Forumla floats for a while but usually my betta's have eaten them by that point.

The only thing with doing more water changes is that it might stress out the fish more, just keep going with the 25% water changes each week.

You can also just keep the firetruck right outside the aquarium if there is room to place it there so it's still a part of the aquarium, just not in it.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #30 
knini09

Ok will do thx guys I fed him this morning again the bloodworms and he eat those fine he even came up as soon as he saw me open the lid lol it was just too cute... Let me get home and what u find. I hope he will be more coloful tho. Do u recommend me to put salt on the tank?