Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #1 
FishyFloorzack

Exclamation Sbd and gill fluke?

My fish has been sick for the past days. Ohkay here it goes.
He has been swimming on his side, not eating, when he goes to get air his bottom half sinks, sinks fast. I put epsom salt in his tank 1 tablespoon i did it today and continue until 10 days, no more than that. He's breathing really heavy like, his head gets 3 times his normal head every time he breathes. It's really starting to scare me, i had him for so long i'm not letting go easy. He is in a 3 gallon tank alone, but i just moved him to 1 gallon with heat, he has a heating pad and a heater to get high temp. He doesn't seem bloated, but you never know. Anyone with the same problem that has been solved??
Attached Images

FishyFloorzack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #2 
FishyFloorzack

he also has those white dots on his head, but it just looks like scales?
Old 04-16-2013, 03:24 PM   #3 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Hi there sorry you having problems with your guy he is so pretty. You are doing the right thing adding some Espsom salt to his water and be sure you dissolve it first in some warm water from your tank. Its 1 teaspoon per gallon.

Is he eating and what and how often to you feed him ?

What makes you think he has a gill fluke one you see one on him ? I dont know much about those but many people here do so if he has one someone can help you with that or I will do some research on it for you. Its a parasite I do know that.

Not sure about the white spots on his head could you get a more clear picture of those.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:31 PM   #4 
FishyFloorzack

I'll get a picture right away!

I was feeding him bloodworms when i first got him then tetrabetta floating pellets but he doesn't like those and i will be getting oemga pellets very very soon.

I just said Gill flukes because his breathing is heavy, he has to take air from the surface every few seconds, he is very lethargic and doesn't move much plus he lays on his side. He will lay on his plants, but i didn't put rocks so i can see if he poops but he hasn't.

He's red so i can't tell if his gills are red or bloody...i keep lights off him and i put a towel over his tank so he won't be as stressed..
Old 04-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #5 
FishyFloorzack

They are lighter than his body so you can tell..
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #6 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Thanks for the new pictures and they look like they are just part of his color, my guy has those on his head too and his head is dark blue and the spots of a light blue color. So unless they get bigger or start to grow some fuzz on them I think they are okay but keep and eye on them for awhile.

I hope he will eat the Omega One pellets because with him only eating the bloodworms are only like treat and not healthy for him like the pellets are.
Are they frozen or freeze dried ? The freeze dried can cause bloating is why I ask.

Since he is breathing heavy I think it could be gill flukes since those can cause that but I cant be sure so I will read up on those and ask someone who knows to have a look at this thread.

For now and till you get some more help I would keep his water extra clean in the 1 gallon tank and add fresh Espom salt everyday when you do the water change and try to keep the temp of the fresh conditioned water as warm as the water he has been in. Hang in there for more help.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #7 
FishyFloorzack

They are dried, THANK YOU!!!!!!!
Old 04-16-2013, 04:03 PM   #8 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Your very welcome !!! I have pmed one of our great members here who knows all about sick Bettas and what to do to help them so hang in there.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #9 
Sakura8

Hi Fishyfloorzack and I'm sorry to hear about your guy.

From the symptoms you've been describing, I think your guy may have gill and skin flukes. His gills look a little swollen and the whiteish spots on his head may be missing scales due to skin flukes.

The best non-medicated treatment for this is 3 tsps of aquarium salt per gallon and high heat at 86 F with daily 100% changes. If he hasn't shown any improvement in a few days, we can try a medication such as API General Cure.

Last edited by Sakura8; 04-16-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #10 
FishyFloorzack

Is epsom salt the same? or the same treatment?