Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-16-2013, 05:02 PM   #1 
osromatra

Cloudy Eye + black-edged fins

I just noticed one of my females, a red VT, has black-edges around her fins plus a cloudy eye. I did not see these last night, but the fins, I might not have noticed, as it's fairly slight. It's even and on all her fins, so I was kind of wondering if it's just her natural coloring changing a bit with continued good nutrition and warm, clean water. But the eye, it's unmistakeably cloudy. It almost looks pearly. It isn't popped out or swollen or anything, just looks like a cataract. She's acting fine, eating, swimming, active, etc. She has always been the female who seems to have the most to prove. She isn't the weakest, who have learned to hide, nor is she one of the more dominant ones who no one messes with. I'm thinking maybe that stress is what's gotten her sick. My parameters are perfect. My instinct is the just QT her and use Aq salt, and not do abx yet. Just want confirmation.

Housing
What size is your tank?- 20G
What temperature is your tank?- 79*
Does your tank have a filter?- Yes, Marineland Penguin 150
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?- Yes, a wand
Is your tank heated?- Yes, adjustible heater
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?- 5 other females of similar size. They haven't really fought in the past two weeks and she has no visible injuries. She actually looks very healthy otherwise, and so do the rest. There were a few stowaway pond snails from she plants, but I think I was able to remove them all. I haven't seen one in 2 weeks.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?- Omega One Betta Flakes. It was too wasteful and difficult to get them to eat the NLS like I give my male. They also get frozen daphnia or bloodworms once a week as a treat.
How often do you feed your betta fish?- They get fed one pinch, twice a day (am/pm) with one feeding being replaced by a small portion (about 1/6 of a cube) of frozen bloodworms or daphnia once a week, with one fast day a week.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?- Once a week, plus additional if the need ever arose
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?- I do a 25% each week on Saturday.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?- I alternate between Seachem Prime and API StressCoat. In this one I tend to do StressCoat more.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
pH: 7.2
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?- She suddenly (within the past 24 hours) developed evenly spaced black-edging on all her fins (her ventrals are so small, I can't be 100% on those, but all the rest) and her left eye is opaque/cloudy. Otherwise, she looks the same.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?- No difference in her behavior at all. She always is feisty, active, a good eater, and none of that has changed.
When did you start noticing the symptoms?- This AM.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?- I am about to float her in a 1 G critter keeper to QT her. Depending on what is recommended, I have AQ salt, epsom salt, and tetracycline to use. If need be, I'll buy something else.
Does your fish have any history of being ill?- She was slightly under the weather when I first bought her, back in early March. I QTed all the girls for 2 weeks. She didn't have much in the water of fin/body rot/damage (maybe slight unevenness around the edges of her fins) but she did have a few episodes with swimming difficulties, despite not really being bloated. She belly surfed sometimes. I treated her with epsom for a few days and fasted her as well and that went away and has not been a concern since. Before I added them to the tank, they were all healthy and without any fin rot/damage. Even with the black edges, they look uniform and intact.

How old is your fish (approximately)? - I'm guessing she is maybe 5-6 months old? She is smaller than a typical full grown "pet store" betta, but not a baby. She's young enough that she does have a very slight stripe when I cup her, but she doesn't typical show her stripe, only during cupping.

Tank was set up early March, cycled with the established filters from our other 20G, and it basically cycled immediately.

Last edited by osromatra; 04-16-2013 at 05:08 PM.
osromatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:50 AM   #2 
Mozart282

It may be just her growing with age, just an idea, but every time I clean my tank I put in a drop of "ick away" a medicine for fish to prevent ick. It also helps kill hurtful bacteria in the water, and so does adding some "water clarifier" by tetra. She also could be going blind if the cloudiness is her eyes is more of a bluish grey tint, which can also be a sign of aging, and so can the color change. Hope this helps, best of luck to you :)
Mozart282 is offline   Reply With Quote