Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #1 
Leopardfire

My betta keeps eating my ADFs food

I finally got my 10 gallon going and I put my female betta in with 2 ADFs. I feed the frogs from a terra-cotta pot holder so that they don't make a mess, but my betta keeps eating a lot of the food. It's really bad for her to eat so much, but I don't know how to stop her.

I was thinking about taking her out and putting her in a little bucket for an hour every time I feed the frogs, but I don't want to stress her out too much. Is there anything better I can do to stop her?
Leopardfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:02 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

I don't know much about ADFs, but if they are active at night, maybe you can try feeding them after you turn the tank lights off and waiting until the betta goes to sleep?
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:24 PM   #3 
Leopardfire

She doesn't go to sleep. I fed them after I turned the lights off, but there's still enough light for her to see and she goes strait to the food. Are there any in cage containers that I could trap her in for a little but that sit in the cage and have holes for fresh water flow? I think I heard about 1 somewhere but I can't remember.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:45 PM   #4 
Tigersoul101

I know that they have little cages that just float in the tank for females fishes when they give birth, but I'm not sure if that'll stress your betta out.
Tigersoul101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #5 
knini09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopardfire View Post
She doesn't go to sleep. I fed them after I turned the lights off, but there's still enough light for her to see and she goes strait to the food. Are there any in cage containers that I could trap her in for a little but that sit in the cage and have holes for fresh water flow? I think I heard about 1 somewhere but I can't remember.
petco has them, I currently have my betta there cuz he does not want to eat and I do have him with 9 neons and they eat everything I put for him, so yes I am one of those that get him into his little thing and feed him, currently I am waiting for him to eat. I got all the 3 top brands and he is just not having it. I guess I got enough for his whole life. shish... $40 bucks on food... lucky guy
knini09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigersoul101 View Post
I know that they have little cages that just float in the tank for females fishes when they give birth, but I'm not sure if that'll stress your betta out.
breeder boxes? XD
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #7 
bettaman12

Quote:
Originally Posted by knini09 View Post
petco has them, I currently have my betta there cuz he does not want to eat and I do have him with 9 neons and they eat everything I put for him, so yes I am one of those that get him into his little thing and feed him, currently I am waiting for him to eat. I got all the 3 top brands and he is just not having it. I guess I got enough for his whole life. shish... $40 bucks on food... lucky guy
What are they called? Like the product from petco.
bettaman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:31 AM   #8 
Briz

There is a very easy solution!

Watch this short video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9Grx0iuqBs

Basically, you net your ADF every time it's feeding time, keeping him in the water but in the net. This will keep him separate from your Betta and have his food in one small area so he can easily find it. Your ADF will eventually learn that net = food so he will come out when you put the net in, as seen in the video.

I did this with my ADF and he had no trouble eating his food this way.
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #9 
Leopardfire

That's a really good idea and thanks for the video. I think I will try it tonight with a few bloodworms and see how it goes.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #10 
knini09

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaman12 View Post
What are they called? Like the product from petco.
this is the link.
http://www.petco.com/product/7449/Le...eedingSupplies
knini09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adf, betta eating frog food, overeating