Betta Fish Forum banner

Feeding Time

873 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  lj 
#1 ·
I have a new betta (bout 1 week) and have him in a 1+ gallon tank. He seems very happy but when I feed him, all he wants are the freeze dried bloodworms. He won't even try a pellet.

Is it alright to feed him nothing but the bloodworms?

#2 ·
Unfortunately, no. Bloodworms are very high in fat and will make your betta sick. Bettas are known to be picky eaters, and it may take a while to "train" him to eat healthier food.

Try feeding a tiny bit of pellets every day. Bettas can last a long time without food (I wouldn't worry if I didn't feed a healthy betta for a week). The first few days he will reject the pellets, but within 3-4 days he should be hungry enough to try the pellets anyway. You just can't break down and feed him bloodworms in the meantime. Betta are expert guilt trippers, but be strong!

I forgot to add- he'll also benefit from some veggies in his diet. You can take a frozen pea and thaw it in dechlorinated water. Take the little skin off the outside and take a bit of the mush inside on the end of a toothpick. Try to get him to eat that from time to time as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.