Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-16-2013, 10:39 PM   #1 
MoonShadow

Hi! I'm Moonshadow and I love Veiltails...

... And if someone doesn't start working with them now, then whose going to? I've been told many times I we want the veiltails in the shows then people need to start working seriously with them!

So....

Vinegar eels and brine shrimp eggs have been ordered...

20 gallon growout is coming out of retirement...

Pair will begin conditioning tomorrow...

And in 3 weeks to a month we will spawn

Enjoy!

Female

Backup female

Male
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:45 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Very nice. Why not the awesome vts you got off aquabid?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:48 PM   #3 
Myates

Good luck! I agree, good VT stock should be out there.. people base VTs off of pet stores, but if more breeders bred them then we would have so many more variations and colors.

It's the dotty girl I saw you got on FB - she is a doll, will make some pretty babies :)

I want to work with VTs, if we get them back into the US shows more, then hopefully more breeders will join in and will make finding them homes easier. I really want to work on some true reds and classic/AOC cambodian VTs one day, but hard to find good starting stock. But you got some good ones from Kayla, which is great :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:50 PM   #4 
MoonShadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Very nice. Why not the awesome vts you got off aquabid?
I unfortunately lost one of them to unknown causes and the other is really beginning to show his age. I don't know how he would hold up to spawning he already well over a year old.
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:18 PM   #5 
Jayloo

Good luck. I'm sure every betta enthusiast's love started with a veil tail from the LPS.
Jayloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:50 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Beautiful pair, Kylie.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:00 AM   #7 
Laurenie

Hi MoonShadow,

Great timing for me to see this thread, I actually have 7 VTs--3 males and 4 females that should be arriving Thursday. I've really always been a pretty die-hard DT fan, specifically HMDTs, and definitely still plan to work with them, but something about the thread in the "Show" section about VTs and encouraging breeders to work on creating high-quality VT lines, getting them back into shows, and removing the stigma thats def still attached to them for being "just" VTs really made me start thinking about it. And then I couldn't stop thinking about it lol.

My breeding experience is pretty limited--I had a few successful spawns about 3 years ago now, but it wasn't something I was really "serious" about or dedicated to, and didn't really have any goals. I did quite a bit of research, but really only touched the tip of the iceberg as far as betta genetics, breeding for form, etc. and so I've been spending a lot of time recently looking for good articles/websites/etc., and reading the ones that seem to contain the best info. Its one of those things where I'm sure I'll never stop learning really--and that is (or should be) true of any animal, but to an even greater degree considering theres still so many unkowns, variables, and almost endless possibilities.

Do you mind me asking what your current or short-term goals are with the VT line you're starting? Do you have a "vision" or ideal in mind are far as specific traits that you're going to be working towards? I guess I'm curious since these are couple of the main things I've really been thinking about a lot but don't feel like I've really worked them out yet.
Laurenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #8 
Crowntails

Beautiful pair. Excited to see this spawn!
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:46 PM   #9 
justmel

Beautiful MoonShadow
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:52 PM   #10 
Riverotter

They are beautiful. I also love veiltails. I've been lurking and reading. My daughter and I have made betta breeding our summer project. I am a very experienced aquarist, but have never bred before. LOL, except for livebearers, and the trick with them only how to not get over-run!

Honestly, I was shocked and upset to see all the veiltail bashing here. In my eyes they are SO much more attractive then crowntails and plakats, and the most graceful and beautiful variety.

Your pair are lovely, and I hope you'll put up updates!
We have 2 pair, an orange butterfly male and a red female, and a blue male with orange in his fins, and a blue female who is different everytime you look at her, lol, A light purple when we bought her, but a darker blue now.
The males markings are not perfect for their varieties, but we think they are lovely, and just right for us to learn about breeding and raising fry.
~ And before anyone asks our plans for the fry, we have room to keep about 100 permanently (yes, really), and as there's exactly 1 LFS in a 50 mile radius, any we don't want to keep should easily sell locally - and hopefully addict more people to fish keeping in general, and veiltails in particular.
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote