Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2013, 12:45 AM   #1 
Auburn Sakura

Exclamation Fins Deteriorating...

Hello everyone. My mother and I have some concerns about two of our fish. Aquasia and Emmeryn have developed fin tearing(?). We're not sure what it is, but their fins are torn slightly. I noticed some possible redness to their gills. It looks gone of Aquasia, and I'm not sure about Emmeryn. My mother thinks it's just natural gill coloring, but I'm not entirely certain. Anyone got some ideas? Here are some pictures.:
Attached Images

Auburn Sakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:14 AM   #2 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

Are the plants in the bettas tanks silk, real or plastic? If they are plastic it is possible that they might be tearing their fins. If so remove the plastic plants ans see what happens, if there is no further damage then they were just tearing their fins and removing the plastic plants will solve the problem.

If you do not have plastic plants or even if you do but that the damage continues to get worse even after removing them then it is possible that they may have fin rot. This is usually caused from not cleaning their tanks enough. What size are their tanks and how often do you clean them? always be sure to remove any waste from the gravel when you do the cleaning.

If fin rot is the cause up their water changes and use a medication such as triple sulfa or Mardels Maracyn two. I hope they are all healthy for you again soon Let me know how they go!
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:19 AM   #3 
Auburn Sakura

I will let you know. They get frequent water changes, and the plants are real. We try to clean out their gravel as much as we can. They have pretty small tanks right now, they're individual one gallon tanks. But we're planning to get larger ones in the future. Thank you for the advice! :D
Old 04-17-2013, 01:36 AM   #4 
veggiegirl

No Problem always happy to help! One gallon tanks would need 100% water changes every 2-3 days in order to keep them clean enough to prevent fin rot. Do your bettas have heaters? If not this is also a possible cause of the fin rot. Bettas are tropical fish and cannot handle fluctuating water temperature as it stresses them out and lowers their immune system which puts them at risk of all sorts of nasty diseases. It would be great if sometime in the near future you could get them 2.5 gallon tanks each as they will be much happier and healthier however even more important than more space is heaters which are critical to keep bettas healthy. I hope your guys are much happier soon, Good Luck
Old 04-17-2013, 01:41 AM   #5 
Auburn Sakura

I'm glad! :D And I see, we've only been doing partial water changes and they do not have heaters. We do keep the room that they're at 77F-80F to make sure it's warmer. We'll work on getting heaters and we're planning to get two five-gallons next month! I hope so as well, and thanks! ^.^
Old 04-17-2013, 01:43 AM   #6 
Auburn Sakura

Oh, we have done a couple of 100% changes, we'll work on doing those more often though.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:51 AM   #7 
veggiegirl

Oh thats great that you are going to get some 5 gallons! I am sure they will be happy in no time! If you do some more regular water changes and get them heaters you will really notice a difference. Good Luck and be sure to let me know how they go!
Old 04-17-2013, 02:00 AM   #8 
Auburn Sakura

Of course I will! :D And yep! The five gallons and heaters will be great! ^.^ Thanks again! :)
Old 04-17-2013, 02:11 AM   #9 
veggiegirl

Your welcome
Old 04-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #10 
10asartin

Just in case you find that the tearing is not a result of sharp plants or filter intake.

I don't really suspect that it is fin rot because there aren't any black edges on the tail which are indicative of fin rot (it is kind of hard to tell on the dark betta). However, don't discount this possibility. If you notice the fins becoming increasingly more damaged and ragged it will be a safe bet that it is rot.

The other possibility it tail biting. I personally suspect that because some of the damage has a half circle shape (like little betta bites).

Good luck!
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
???, bettas, fins, sickness, tearing