Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2013, 01:39 AM   #1 
Pandoras

Bloated Belly (betta piggy)

So I habitually check my fish ever since one passed away mysteriously, and tonight I had a miniature heart attack when I went to feed my boys in the ten gallon. "Smile" has a massively bloated belly, see image below; though he is active, no signs of pineconing with scales or any other notable issues than his big belly.

I recently put two ghost shrimp into his side of the tank, and I believe he finally found them and forged on them, but that is just my assption.

Should I fast him for the next three to five days then resort to Epsom salt treatment after if his bloated belly does not decrease?

I am paranoid about these things and need another opinion; the girlfriend is in bed or otherwise I'd be hounding her on what to do, xD

- ten gallon, divided tank
-CT betta tank mate (on the other side of the divider)
-20% water changes every 2 to 1 1/2 weeks
-recently added two MIA ghost shrimp and two stem plants
-was perfectly fine (belly wise) until sometime today
-active, happy fishie
-no water testing kit
-water treatments used with each water change
-tank temp is 81 F
-heavily planted tank
-mixed diet of omega one buffet pellets, flakes, freeze dried shrimp and blood worms. Three pellets (servings equalivilant with the rest of the food when I mix his diet) daily.
----NOTE I don't feed him all of those things daily and am only noting he gets a max serving of 3 pellets daily.

Need to know anything else?

Comparison photo of what he regularly looks like:

Last edited by Pandoras; 04-17-2013 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Added comparison photo
Pandoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:03 AM   #2 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

It is possible that your guy is bloated because he is constipated, freeze dried foods are often the cause of this, I use frozen foods instead. You could try offering a little piece of pea. Just defrost a frozen pea by running it under water and break the skin apart and feed him a little piece of the bit inside. If he doesn't eat it then yes fasting is probably the best option unless you have some frozen brine shrimp on hand which can act as a mild laxative. Must be frozen NOT freeze dried. Also only feed a little. If he does not pass anything after feeding the brine shrimp then fast him, do not offer any more food.

If fasting does not help then give Epson salts a go.Good Luck
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:18 AM   #3 
Fenghuang

Smile probably gorged himself on the ghost shrimps. You said they were missing, right? It just looks like he has a full and happy belly. Vasuki and Barti have the same look right now because they have been eating the algae wafers I have been putting in for the snails. Just don't feed him for a day or two, he should be fine.
Fenghuang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:57 PM   #4 
Pandoras

To clarify, I don't feed them excess brine shrimp or bloodworms; my fish only get them as treats once a week.

Thanks, though, I'll keep an eye on him and fast him for a day or so until his little gorged belly slims down.

Last edited by Pandoras; 04-17-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Pandoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:09 PM   #5 
LittleBlueFishlets

Poor shrimpies!

Ah well, a little overindulgence today, means a fasting day tomorrow. He's a beautiful little guy!
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote