Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2013, 02:11 AM   #1 
tngirl92

Angry Betta Abuse on Etsy.com

Was browsing Etsy tonight, a website where you can purchase custom crafts from vendors, for betta fish art and jewelry. I am a complete betta nerd, lol.

Anyway, during my search I came across a seller advertising empty liquor bottles as "custom betta bowls" and such. I shudder to think about a betta in that tiny bottle, and how in the world do you get him in and out of the neck of the bottle much less do routine cleanings? Very VERY angry about this advertising. I would hate for some ignorant person to purchase this and try to make their betta live in it.

Examples:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SimplyGlass...ef=shop_search
tngirl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:45 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Have you contacted the owner of those...things? I see there was a little "contact" button on the side, I wouldn't mind sending an email to them if you didn't want to. The only thing that would be good for is refiling with liquor, perhaps a flower vase or to go into recycling.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:14 AM   #3 
Wildbetta

The horrible thing is I have seen a youtube video where someone had a betta in one of those bottles. It was aweful although it did look like he kept it clean, the betta could hardly turn around much less really swim.
Wildbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:14 AM   #4 
Darth

Most Breeders in Thailand use whiskey bottles to raise their fish because the stack uniformly and when dealing with thousands of fish that seems to be how they do it.
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:30 AM   #5 
Catw0man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngirl92 View Post
Was browsing Etsy tonight, a website where you can purchase custom crafts from vendors, for betta fish art and jewelry. I am a complete betta nerd, lol.

Anyway, during my search I came across a seller advertising empty liquor bottles as "custom betta bowls" and such. I shudder to think about a betta in that tiny bottle, and how in the world do you get him in and out of the neck of the bottle much less do routine cleanings? Very VERY angry about this advertising. I would hate for some ignorant person to purchase this and try to make their betta live in it.

Examples:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SimplyGlass...ef=shop_search
I just sent a message to the owners...here's what I said:

"Hello, I have a concern about these bottles being marketed as "betta bowls". As a long-time betta owner who loves their fish, I can tell you that a bottle like this is definitely NOT a healthy habitat for a betta. Any knowledgeable fish owner would never put a fish in a bottle like this....so many of the things that responsible betta-owners do to keep their fish healthy and happy would be difficult if not impossible in these bottles. Bettas need clean, warm water (they are tropical fish and do best in water between 76 to 82 degrees) and sufficient surface area to breath (they are labyrinth fish which must get oxygen from the water's surface). They also do much better in more water, not the tiny little bowls and tanks often marketed as betta bowls.

This type of advertising ends up promoting cruelty to these beautiful fish by people who don't bother to research what these fish need to be healthy and happy. Then these same people will wonder why their fish died a week or a month later.

On behalf of caring, knowledgeable betta lovers, please adjust your advertising and remove the "fish bowl betta bottle" references."

If Thailand breeders use bottles, well, so be it....they know more about raising bettas than I will ever know. But I still wouldn't want bottles marketed to ignorant customers as a novelty betta bowl.

Last edited by Catw0man; 04-17-2013 at 08:33 AM.
Catw0man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:31 AM   #6 
Fin Fancier

Well at least the person isn't selling the fish with the bottle. It's more of a suggested use. All you're getting if you order is a cleaned, empty, liquor bottle for roughly the price of getting it full...
By the time they get it and go to pick up a betta they'd be able to see they could have gotten a .5 gallon tank for less... Heck if they got a glass 2.5 gallon tank it would still cost less. I'm surprised this sells at all, if it does.
Fin Fancier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:35 AM   #7 
Wildbetta

It is always surprising what people will pay for a "novelty". LOL At least to me it is. I always try to see if I can make the same thing for less.
Wildbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:29 AM   #8 
registereduser

poor guy: http://www.etsy.com/listing/11019372...ch_query=betta
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #9 
10asartin

The best way to combat this type of cruelty is through unity and education. It is up to people like us to tell others the truth about the beautiful betta, and hopefully people will stop treating them like things and start treating them like living creatures.
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #10 
erinbirdsong

Contact Etsy and complain
erinbirdsong is offline   Reply With Quote