Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #11 
10asartin

I contacted the seller directly, but remained very polite. People don't respond well to anger
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:45 AM   #12 
Catw0man

The seller contacted me after my communication with her and said:

"Thank you for the information..I will changing my listing. I was unaware because my daughter uses them for her fish all the time."

I thanked her and suggested that her daughter join us here on the forum to get some better information on caring for bettas. She sounds like a caring person who just didn't know.
Catw0man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #13 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh that's wonderful! I'm glad to hear this turned out well! And I hope her daughter does join us! It would be a pleasure I think :)
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:16 AM   #14 
SwayLocks

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngirl92 View Post
Was browsing Etsy tonight, a website where you can purchase custom crafts from vendors, for betta fish art and jewelry. I am a complete betta nerd, lol.

Anyway, during my search I came across a seller advertising empty liquor bottles as "custom betta bowls" and such. I shudder to think about a betta in that tiny bottle, and how in the world do you get him in and out of the neck of the bottle much less do routine cleanings? Very VERY angry about this advertising. I would hate for some ignorant person to purchase this and try to make their betta live in it.

Examples:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SimplyGlass...ef=shop_search
Yeah it's pretty dumb that people put fish in bottles. Doing that is a novelty for them
SwayLocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:39 AM   #15 
isochronism

If the person selling these is drinking all of the alcohol to ready the bottles for sale, she may not be thinking very clearly. (no joke intended)
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:08 PM   #16 
LillieCharlotte

I would imagine breeders use bottles with the intent to sell or rehome those bettas rather than as a permanent habitat. It's a step up from petstore cups i guess?
LillieCharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:24 PM   #17 
percyfyshshelley

Good job Catw0man!
percyfyshshelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #18 
Spike34

Angry

Hi there,

Hope I haven't treaded on any toes as the listing is still up (2 days later) and thought it might be best to gently nudge in numbers. I have contacted Etsy asking them to re-assess whether the listing is indeed a suitable one for their site as it is one that really goes against the spirit of Etsy as it just reeks of cruelty. I basically phrased it as a question as to whether they wish to be viewed as a group which advocates the storage of Betta fish in liquor bottles. Hopefully it'll be withdrawn but I'm not holding my breath.

Spike

Last edited by Spike34; 04-22-2013 at 05:25 PM. Reason: error
Spike34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:56 PM   #19 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I just sent the following complaint to the shop owner-

Listing: http://www.etsy.com/listing/11019490...l-betta-bottle

Dear Mr and Mrs Smith,

I contacted you to inform you about the "betta bottles" that you sell. You suggest that these less then 1/2 gallon bottles be used for fish, but these do not make suitable homes for them. I am a betta breeder, keeper, and hobbyist, and I own over 100 bettas.
Bettas are native to Thailand, where the water temperature stays between 76 and 86 degrees fahrenheit. To maintain this temperature, a heater is required. There is no where or way to put a heater in these bottles. If bettas are to cold, their immunity is compromised, leaving them susceptible to disease. Keeping bettas in cold water dramatically decreases their lifespan.
In a container this small, a toxic substance called ammonia (which all fish excrete) will build up very rapidly. Ammonia burns and eventually kills the fish in a very painful manner.
Bettas are anabantoids, meaning they use a special organ called the labyrinth to breath air from the surface. To do this, there must be sufficient amounts of oxygen available to them. In these bottles, the airflow is not enough. A betta could potentially suffocate living in one of these.
There are many, many things wrong with keeping an animal in one of these liquor bottles. The betta in the picture that you show is very unhealthy and close to death. Advertising improper betta habitats like this only increases the incidence of animal cruelty committed by people who do not do their own proper research. I know I am not the first to file a complaint against this product. Please change this advertisement and remove the false information about keeping bettas like this. I am prepared to contact etsy if this does not change.

Thank you.

I would suggest that more people contact them with a similar message. The more pressure they receive, the more likely they are to remove it.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:17 PM   #20 
royal

that bottle is $58! I got a 2 gallon bowl and all its contents for less! but seriously, who would buy that, when you could just buy your own 1 g vase from dollarama for $1.25?
royal is offline   Reply With Quote