Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2013, 07:49 AM   #1 
CapnJack

Air Quality

I'm having the wood floors in my house done. I've been told I can't sleep in the house for a couple night because of the fumes from the chemicals. My fish is one floor above the work but i'm worried about him. Should I take him in a cup to where i'm staying the night or leave him be?

I can't take the tank with me so he'd only be in a normal size drinking glass for a couple days. I'm just worried if I change his water with tap water from a different town it may mess with him, so if anyone knows if it'd be safe to leave him please let me know.
CapnJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:57 AM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

if you have a suitable heater/ thermometer/ container, I think it's better to set up a temporary housing for the betta else where.
Bettas are pretty adaptable to different water parameters. I would keep your current tank covered during your absence so nothing nasty can dissolve in the water.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:12 AM   #3 
CapnJack

All I have is a glass cup. No heater, thermometer, or anything. Just glass and water.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:20 AM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

hmm.. can you use the heater from his current tank? All he needs is a large sterlite container of some sort and a way for it to be heated.
Otherwise I would keep his tank covered completely for a few days.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:33 AM   #5 
CapnJack

Unfortunately I don't have anything of decent size aside from kitchen pots. I was going to keep him in a glass cup I keep him in during water changes. But I don't want to ruffle his feathers so to speak if I don't have to.0

I'm gonna cover the tank and come back the next day when the fumes are gone to give him some fresh air if possible. I just don't want to risk finrot which he got after I lost power, among other things, to Sandy. He was in unheated, unchanged water for about a week then. I know my current situation isn't remotely close to that, but I want to make the best choice for him.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:52 AM   #6 
CapnJack

Thanks for the help. I was torn between the two options and needed the advice of someone with knowledge and experience.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #7 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Hi there CapnJack ...That is a really good question and maybe it would be a good idea to call the company that is doing your floors and ask if the fumes would hurt your fish. Better to be safe than sorry right. Also you might try to goggle it and see if you come up with anything helpful. Good luck !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote