Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2013, 08:23 AM   #1 
gandelf

Covered long 20

Is a partially covered long 20 require an airstone? I have a Cascade 2000 on one side and a Whisper 10 with one airstone on the other side. The tank is in our living room and the air pump can be heard when listening to quiet movies or snoozing. So, do I actually need the air pump for gas exchange on the water surface. Or, will the HOB provide enough oxygen? I have one Betta (Judas) and 5 Panda Corys. I have checked and done what I could to silence the air pump as much as I can.

No, using the home theater with 15" subwoofer to over ride the din, is not an option.
gandelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:39 AM   #2 
Jexx

I believe you will have enough surface agitation with the HOB since those are your inhabitants. In fact, they may be happier with out the air stone.
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:07 AM   #3 
gandelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexx View Post
I believe you will have enough surface agitation with the HOB since those are your inhabitants. In fact, they may be happier with out the air stone.
Thanks for the quick reply jexx. I am somewhat concerned about ambient noise for my fish. What I'm not sure of is how much oxygen will be available to the surface agitation, since the tank is partially covered. Their is only a ~3" space open on one side to provide clearance for the hob filter. I don't think their would be much of any air circulation under the cover. The Cascade 2000 has a black cover on it to block light for the bacteria. I understand beneficial bacteria are photo-phobic. The filter does incorporate an "agitator" to redirect the water output back and forth some. But, that is only effective if their is an ample supply of oxygen to the water surface. On a side note, absorbed oxygen meters are pricey; it would be handy thou. I could also use it for homebrewing my beer.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #4 
Jexx

Bettas prefer to breath humid air, 3 inches of opening is more than sufficient to allow air circulation above the water's surface. As long as there is 1-2 inches of space between the surface of the water and the cover, you will be good to go for oxygen. the agitator contained by the filter will create enough movement for the cory cats. I cannot advise on ambient noise however. I have my air pump set on a seperate surface from my tanks so that the vibration does not disturb my fish. The actual noise we hear from it will not bother them. Only us.
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:28 AM   #5 
gandelf

Ok, I'm going to give it a go. I will monitor the corys to make sure they do not need to go to the surface for oxygen. I also put a thin layer of foam between the hob filter and the tank to isolate as much sound and vibration as possible.