Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #1 
justmel

Are they breedable? Pic heavy

I want to get into breeding bettas, but am still learning what I need to know. I have several (22) adult bettas already, but I am unsure which might be worth breeding. I am not interesting is showing bettas myself, but would like the ones I offer to be of a quality where other breeds and those that do show bettas might be interested. Would you please give me your opinion on breeding with the bettas I have now. If I need to all of these will stay pets, or possible find other home, and I will buy a breeding pair to start with. I have not figured out how to get my text my the picture I am referring too, so the descriptions and notes here are in order of the pictures below.
  • This is not a picture I took; I adopted this handsome guy, Patrick, from MoonShadow. Heís been part of my family since yesterday and while heís getting used to his surrounding it upsets him whenever I get too close to try and get a picture.
  • Mani here does not like to flare. Thereís a few of my boys that is very hard to capture while flaring. I was told before that it would probably be best not to breed Mani because his body is to short and could lead to spinal problems.
  • My other DT is Ra. Not sure on his good or bad points, but Iíd love to be able to find a pretty lady betta to be able to breed him with.
  • Thor here is my only HM. I love these tail types. If I had to narrow it down I think I would like to work with HMs and VTs. Itís difficult to see all his coloring in this pic, but I was thinking of breeding him with a nice MG girl if I could find one.
  • This is Pan, aka Pandora. He was bought as a female and spent some time in my sorority, now he rules a 10 gallon tank. His body length is 2.5Ē and I was told that mean heís at least half giant. If that is accurate and both Pan & the 2nd lady (who is female) that I bought are breedable I might start with this pair.
  • Now itís on to my VTs. The first here is my daughterís boy, Darling. As with a lot of pictures this does absolutely nothing to show all his wonderful color, but itís the only one I have of him flaring. I donít know if personalities breed into fish like they can cat & dogs, but if they do this is one sweet boy, probably one of our most passive males.
  • Luv here is another one of my daughterís boys. Weíve had him the longest of all our bettas. I did do 1 spawning before finding this site and knowing everything I needed to know about genetics and all that. I have 20 fry month old fry, and Luv is the daddy.
  • This is actually the only VT male I own, Mr. Fish. Heís the one that started my bettas craziness and the one that got me into wanting to breed them. Not much more to say about him. I donít know if he has any good points for breeding or anything that would make it better not to breed him.
  • I donít know if this picture of Prometheus (orange VT) is good enough to judge him by or not. Prometheus and Ra canít get enough of each other. If they see the smallest crack between their tanks where they can see into the other tank they are glued there flaring at each other. Prometheus is my daughters newest betta. (These are not all my boys, but the only one I have decent pictures of so far)

Now onto my current ladies. I donít have many of them yet, but hereís who we do have.
  • First is Amor. Amor is a pretty, dark purple VT (Iíve never seen red or blue, just a deep purple) and mother to the fry I have
  • This lady is still currently nameless. Iíve had her a couple weeks, so I need to get busy and find her a name. This is the female I would breed with Pan from above. Her body is just slightly shorter than his.
  • One of my newest additons (in fact the only 1 of 4 females I brought home that wasnít sick) She hasnít shown her colors yet, but if she even glimpses a male she will start displaying egg bands. Her name is Brigid.
  • Not a very good picture of my sweet Freya at all, she got beat up a bit in the sorority and is very shy, so itís hard to get her in a pic. Normally she doesnít appear purple. Sheís iridescent, but most often shows a teal color. Sometimes blue, sometimes green, and as seen here occasionally purple. Now that sheís out of the sorority sheís healing up nicely.
  • This green CT girl is another one of the last females I picked up and being treated for Velvet atm
  • Hestia didnít seem sick at all when I brought her home, but within a couple days she was laying around with her fins clamped tight. Iím treating her for a very mild case of Velvet as well. She might work well with Patrick.
  • This little red VT is Lofin. She was a tiny things when I brought her home but is now almost as big as Amor and she thinks she rules the roost. I love her bright red color and was playing with the idea of breeding her with either Mr. Fish or possible Patrick.
  • Not a very good picture at all, but this is Sol. I thought she might make some pretty VT babies with Prometheus.

If I can get pictures of my missing boys I will post them later. Thank you for taking the time to read this post and offer any feedback you might have. If I can find out who I have that can be breed I can find out what I need to find as well.
Attached Images

justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #2 
trilobite

So many options

I really like the 2nd dt male, his toplines nice and smooth, balanced fins and his bodies not too short.
Also the second girl is plakat so she could be used with your pk guy which would give you pk. They will all be traditional pk though which is the short finned equivalent of vt.
Or you could use her with your 2nd dt boy and get dome dtpk in F2. F1 will probably give you all longfin vt/delta/roundtail with broad dorsals.
Or try use the hm guy to pk girl and by f3 you should see some hmpk. f2 will bring you some pk back, most of which will reach 180 but their tails are likely to still be quite round so cant be classed as true hmpk.

You could use the 4th female, the blue one with your hm, it looks like shes got redloss but it might just be the lighting. Male looks hass red loss/marble by the looks of it too. Or use the little green girl with velvet when she gets better, I really like her colour. Would be nice to see that colour in HM

Prometheus is a nice fish, cant tell much about him from the pic but Id use him with the red vt girl to try and maintain his colour, it might take at least F2 to get orange back.

Or use 4th girl to the blue vt (if she does actually have redloss) so she can sap out the rest of his red. Would be nice to get some solid blue vts with no red wash.
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #3 
justmel

My pk girl is about twice the size of almost all my males, except the pk male. But the DT you mentioned breeding her with seems rather young, so maybe one of her offspring would work for that.

The 4th girl, Freya, has never shown me any red. That is a really bad pic of her. I've added on I found here, still not the best, but it shows her coloring a lot better. I don't know how she ended up looking purple in that pic. The blue male (Luv I think) you talked about breeding her with is already a daddy, he's a bit older (we've had him almost a year), but he hasn't lost any spunk. His color is changing, mostly there on his anal fin where you see the white, with a couple other white spots showing up elsewhere. Would this be red loss? I think I might go with that pair out of your suggestions as I'm not sure how long Luv will be able to continue breeding.

Sadly I lost the green girl today. I was really hoping to save her, but the other two that were sick show no signs of velvet, although I'm going to continue treatment for another couple days.

I was thinking Prometheus, the orange boy, would do best with the orange girl. You think the red VT would produce better results?

You've given me a lot to look into and think about though, so thank you very much trilobite.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:50 PM   #4 
justmel

Pic I forgot to add to the last post, this is Freya. The fourth girl above.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #5 
MoonShadow

Your best boy is hands down the 3rd boy down, your DT Ra!! Even lobes, nice long body for a DT, well balanced, he's a stunning fish! I don't like any of your girls for him though! He's so nice I wouldn't mix him with vt, it would destroy that amazing balance he has! I would suggest finding a nice HM or Delta girl to breed to him!

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1366397404

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1366307182
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:10 PM   #6 
Mahsfish

I would do the first red ct boy and the red finned ct girls near the bottom.
Mahsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:12 PM   #7 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

The ct has messy rays but nice color. I agree with MoonShadow, the nicest one by a long shot is your second dt. However, None of your females are good matches for him.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:36 PM   #8 
Mahsfish

Thats the only problem. The cts have achother to prodice more probably red cts and breed truer than the others as red is dominant, but no produce quality fry. On the other hand breeding the best male with a female that doesnot match his potential or colour shape and fins will throw out a whole bunch of differnet fish, which isnt always bad
Mahsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:55 AM   #9 
justmel

Thank you MoonShadow, Matt, & Mahsfish! And YEAH for my Ra. I have to say I'm rather pleased with myself and Ra shows how much I have learned on here. When we got Ra I exchanged a DT I had picked up and died overnight. They only had about 5 dt's and I spent a long time going over each one trying to get one that just might be breedable. I can't say I totally understand what makes them breedable and what doesn't yet, but at least I was able to pick out a good one when I really tried.

Moonshadow, and extra thank you for links to a couple girls to look at for Ra. It really helps me figure these things out to have something to look at. Someone told me when I first got him to find a nice 8 ray female for him.

I'm glad breeding isn't happening right now. Ra is kinds small. He might have some trouble unless I find him a little girl or give him some time to grow a bit more. I'm getting some girls from Chard in a month or two for my sorority, so maybe I will see if he has a fitting girl for Ra when the time comes.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #10 
justmel

I've been doing a lot of reading and research on breeding and think I am finally catching on a bit. Can someone tell me if what I am thinking is correct or where I got it wrong.

If I decide to work with Ra (the second DT), I'm thinking it would be best to go with a nice HM, PK, or possibly HMPK to breed him with. From that first span I should be able to work on either a DT, HM, or HMDT. Of course this would take breeding F1 back to the parent with the trait I am trying to work on, maybe even for a couple generation. The only thing I'm not sure on is his rays. What would end up happening with them? If the female has CT geno then I'd get quite a few of those as well. If she has no CT geno would the suntail trait breed out over time without having CT reintroduced to the line or would it not show in the first spawning?

If anyone has good links to pages that explain the breeding of traits I'd love to look them over. I think I have found all of them on here so far.