Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #21 
Canis

Love your tank setup! My vote is on Gabriel as well :D
Canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #22 
newbettaguy

On my way to get my evolve4 today.... Orson clearance at a local petco for $34.99. Your tank is gorgeous. May l ask Ariz cost to set it up like that?
newbettaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:14 AM   #23 
VJM

No, I didn't know about them. I have only found Tanks A Lot in Lake Worth, and The Planted Aquarium (which I love).
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #24 
Mashiro

I have a question about the filter on the Evolve.

How strong is the current and do you use a baffle of some sort?

I read in reviews that the filter current is WAY too strong, especially for bettas.
Mashiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #25 
VJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashiro View Post
I have a question about the filter on the Evolve.

How strong is the current and do you use a baffle of some sort?

I read in reviews that the filter current is WAY too strong, especially for bettas.
On high, with no baffle, it is too strong. Very easy to fix though.

1. Put sponge around the pump in the compartment. This cuts down on the noise. It isn't bad, but some people find it annoying.

2. Turn the pump all the way down. It's the yellow slide on the outside of the pump body.

3. Put a chunk of coarse filter foam over the outflow nozzle. Mine is about 1" x 1" x 1".

4. Aim the outflow nozzle up at the surface of the water, and towards the tank wall.

That should take it down to a very gentle current even the most heavily finned betta can handle. Still keeps the water clear.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #26 
Greylady

Thanks Canis!

Newbettaguy... Lets see, got the tank at Petco on clearance for 34.98, Heater was 17.00, Sand was 4.99, the sticks that I made into trees totalled 4.00 (they sell them by weight), Christmas moss 4.99 (one bunch I split into three bunches), Dwarf Hairgrass 4.99. The other plants in there I pilfered from my 6 gallon tank. The rocks I had. Oh and the thermometer was 5 I think. So around 75.00 for everything after tax, including the tank.

VJM... I didn't know about the one in Lake Worth, I'll have to check it out. I did run across one a few weeks ago that I thought would be promising out on Lake Worth and Jog, but they only sold tanks, not fish or plants.

Mashiro.... I slowed down the flow on my Evolve by popping off the outflow tip (it just pops off) and sticking a little piece of filter sponge in it then popping it back on. Seems to work well. :)
Greylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:13 PM   #27 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greylady View Post
I set this tank up last Monday. I'm not sure of my new pretty boys name yet...for some reason "Moon" came to me in the car driving home when I got him... not sure though. I'm also leaning towards Ghost or Gabriel. What do you guys think?
like your tank LOTS. how did you attach the moss to the driftwood?
oh, yes Gabriel is a very nice name and very handsome fish.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #28 
Greylady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterfun View Post
like your tank LOTS. how did you attach the moss to the driftwood?
oh, yes Gabriel is a very nice name and very handsome fish.
Thanks! I just used some clear thread, it's called "invisable thread" or "monofiliment thread" that I use for sewing. It's sort of like a thin fishing line, which would also work. I've also heard people say they just use plain ole thread or string, but I had the clear stuff and it doesn't show as much so I used that.

I do need to make him some sort of cave or log for him to get in. He seems to want a place to hide when he's resting and I realize there really isn't a place like that in there like there is in my other tanks. I keep seeing him eyeing that slit in the back to the filter/pump compartment. He's already been in there once! Do not want a repeat of that.

Last edited by Greylady; 04-19-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Greylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:06 PM   #29 
BettaSpark

such a gorgeous tank! I love making tanks look realistic. great job :)
BettaSpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #30 
percyfyshshelley

That is a beautiful tank! Lovely fish as well! I have the same tank and now I want to redo mine to look like yours lol. Mine is a total messy jungle. I did find that my evolve light didn't quite cut it in terms of plants growth and I had to add a supplemental light. Other than that I love the tank. Oh, and I definately had to baffle the filter. But it is a sweet little nano tank.
percyfyshshelley is offline   Reply With Quote