Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-16-2013, 08:08 AM   #1 
shoutriotgrrrl

Cloudy water?

My husband and I both have 2.5gal tanks, however his is always cloudy and mine is usually always clear (gets alittle cloudy when it comes to the water change time).

I've heard of tablets you can get at the pet store so your water doesn't cloud, but do these actually work? Are we doing something wrong with his tank?

We did a 100% water change yesterday cause it was completely bad, and this morning it was worse than before we changed it yesterday!

Any help would be great, thanks (:
shoutriotgrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:53 AM   #2 
ryancalif

No need to use any water treatment products.

If its a white cloudy, then you're seeing a bacterial bloom. What happens is when you have too much dead organic material in the tank, the heterotrophic bacteria reproduce rapidly to try and "meet the demand" of increased waste... they reproduce so rapidly they fail to attach to any surfaces in the aquarium and you end up seeing them floating around in the water. You can usually minimize the cloudiness through water changes and vacuuming your gravel.

If its green cloudy, then you're seeing an algae bloom. This is the result of very high nitrate levels. You'll want to change your water... maybe 50-60%.
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:56 AM   #3 
ao
TFK Moderator

does he vaccum his substrate? I dont reccommend products to clear cloudy water.
Its better to eliminate the cause.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:20 AM   #4 
shoutriotgrrrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryancalif View Post
No need to use any water treatment products.

If its a white cloudy, then you're seeing a bacterial bloom. What happens is when you have too much dead organic material in the tank, the heterotrophic bacteria reproduce rapidly to try and "meet the demand" of increased waste... they reproduce so rapidly they fail to attach to any surfaces in the aquarium and you end up seeing them floating around in the water. You can usually minimize the cloudiness through water changes and vacuuming your gravel.

If its green cloudy, then you're seeing an algae bloom. This is the result of very high nitrate levels. You'll want to change your water... maybe 50-60%.
This is definitely a white cloudy. Ill definitely try out a water change. He's getting to anxious about his fish tank lol. So is it basically just from waste from the fish and excess food?
Old 04-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #5 
shoutriotgrrrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
He doesn't vacuum at all. He had shrimp in there hoping it'd pick up a majority of the waste, but they ended up dying this morning. I don't know much about shrimp cause I've never had a desire to own them, but he seems to think it was a lack of oxygen then needed.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:45 AM   #6 
isochronism

Just sucking out the gravel with a turkey baster will help. You can be surprised how much gunk can be down there.
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

shrimps are ultra sensitive to water issues... not animal should be seen as somethin that can take over a manual clean up...
even snails. all animals poo, which will create even more gunk at the bottom of the tank. lol

it's very easy to clean the substrate. I usually sitr it up, then get an airline as a smaller siphon, if you can pick up the tank to pour the water out, that would be even easier
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #8 
shoutriotgrrrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by isochronism View Post
Just sucking out the gravel with a turkey baster will help. You can be surprised how much gunk can be down there.
I'll have to go buy one! That sounds easier and cheaper than a vacuum. I had a vacuum with a 10 gal i left at home with my mom. Thanks for the idea/suggestion!
Old 04-16-2013, 10:30 AM   #9 
shoutriotgrrrl

Quote:
shrimps are ultra sensitive to water issues... not animal should be seen as somethin that can take over a manual clean up...
even snails. all animals poo, which will create even more gunk at the bottom of the tank. lol

it's very easy to clean the substrate. I usually sitr it up, then get an airline as a smaller siphon, if you can pick up the tank to pour the water out, that would be even easier
Haha yeah, I try helping him out but sometimes he just wants to figure it out on his own. I told him though if he wants to buy a betta he has to have a 2.5 gal tank or nothing. That was my perimeter.

I'll try that. Or have him try that. I'm wondering if because we did a 100% water change last night if that just managed to stir things up.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #10 
DefStatic

Quote:
Quoted for truth
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote