Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #1 
Lonely Dragon

Freeze Dried vs Frozen?

I was at Petsmart today (what a trip) and I saw this betta "treat"...thing. It was called "Betta Dial-a-Treat" and it had freeze dried mysis, daphnia, and bloodworms in it.

I've heard that freeze dried food is bad for bettas, but I don't know if it's true or not. Is it just when you feed them too much? What do you guys think of freeze dried food? Is frozen better?

(By the way, what exactly is mysis and daphnia...?)
Lonely Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #2 
RackinRocky

I'm fairly new at this myself (only had tanks for two years) but I feed a wide variety of frozen foods. The only freeze dried food I use is Tubifex worms. And with them, I soak them for a short time before feeding.

For frozen I feed:
Brine Shrimp
Mysis Shrimp
Bloodworms
Krill
Emerald Entree
Spirulina Brine Shrimp
Reef Caviar
Beef Heart

Freeze Dried:
Tubifex worms

Flakes and pellets:
Shrimp pellets
Omega One veggie flakes
NLS Betta pellets
NLS Cichlid pellets
Algae wafers

Then for my cories, shrimp, Kuhlis and Otos:
Crab cuisine
Shrimp cuisine

I believe variety in the diet is just as important for fish as it is for humans. I have 16 different kinds of fish food!

I don't know anything about the Betta Dial-A-Treat, but I would stay away from lots of freeze dried foods. Betta are susceptible to swim bladder problems and constipation, and unless freeze dried are well soaked, they can be troublesome to some. With this in mind, I only use the freeze dried Tubifex (soaked).

Mysis are a type of shrimp, and most fish adore them. Some like Daphnia, some don't. Most fish will go crazy for bloodworms.

The main diet for betta though, should be betta pellets (soaked for a few minutes if your betta has trouble eating them) with the frozen food given maybe 3 times a week. Change it around. This is what I try to do, and my fish accept all these foods. Sometimes it takes a while for them to recognize it as food, but eventually most do. I also stick with well known quality brands like NLS, Omega One and Hikari. Hope this helps.
RackinRocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #3 
frankiefire

I thought I read somewhere that freeze dried foods lose the nutrients. I only use frozen blood worms and brine shrimp for my tanks.
frankiefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #4 
smaughunter

Freeze dried is O.K for a treat but frozen is definitely superior. Imagine the difference between a bit of beef jerky and a fresh steak. They like freeze dried but most will chose frozen over and frozen has more nutrients as well. An excess of freeze dried has been suspected as a potential cause of constipation also. Yes, I would say if you feed as a once weekly treat, it is o.k, but it shouldn't be considered as part of a regular diet rotation.

Daphnia are a small freshwater crustacean. They are very healthy and bettas love them.

Mysis shrimp are a smallish saltwater shrimp. They are o.k but I finnd them a touch too big for most bettas. Brine shrimp are a better bet.
smaughunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:51 PM   #5 
Lonely Dragon

Okay, so do any of you know of a frozen "variety pack"? I'd love to add some variety to my little guy's diet, but I know my dad will complain about me having a bunch of frozen "bugs" in the freezer.

Io gets about 6 pellets of Top-Fin betta food per day. He'd eat the whole container if I let him...
Old 04-17-2013, 05:53 PM   #6 
frankiefire

Six pellets seems a bit much. Maybe someone who knows better will chime in. My guy gets three pellets a day.
frankiefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #7 
Lonely Dragon

I was planning to just give him 4, but he's a pig so I've been giving him 2 pellets 3 times a day. He's a plakat and extremely active so I don't think he'll have trouble burning them off.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #8 
newbettaguy

man I see the frozen blood worms and want to give my guy some... But the cubes they come in are huge... how do you feed that to a betta? i mean the pellets are the size of a pin point... how do you feed that small amount of frozen?
newbettaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:11 PM   #9 
smaughunter

Just chop off a small part of the cube to defrost and put the rest of it back in the freezer in a ziplock baggy. You can also keep extra in the fridge for a day or two safely.
smaughunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:12 PM   #10 
10asartin

You just cut off a small section and melt it in some water.

I always say frozen is superior to freeze-dried because sometimes freeze-dried causes constipation.
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote