Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-16-2008, 08:55 PM   #1 
Purple7

Confusion on good betta tank mate! Contradicting answers

i know this question has been asked alot but I always get condradicting answers. I'm look for one or more fish tank mates for my male betta in a 5 gallon aquarium and i'm so confused.

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! someone send me a list of good fish roomies for male bettas!!!

some say small barbs, gourami, catfish, and shrimp but then others say all of those will NOT get along with betta

Thanks!
:P
Purple7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:54 PM   #2 
Cody

Everything depends on the personality of the betta and if you are running filtration with it being heated (should be).

In a 5G, I personally wouldn't add anything else but maybe some Cherry shrimp, or maybe a mystery snail. No other fish, but if you have a good amount of algea with good filtration and live plants, Ottos are nice. 3 tops, maybe, with an additon to shrimp. This would have to be filtered, btw.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:01 PM   #3 
GeegaFish

I rather agree with Cody. I've never risked putting anything with a Betta in such a small tank and it does depend on the Betta's personality. I've had three females in a 46 community before with very few problems. My other fish were guppies, neon tetras, glowlight tetras, an upside down catfish, a few Platies and a few Mollies. My tank had many hiding places and lots of plants.

Sometimes, though, Bettas just don't get along with other fish no matter how big the tank is. I had a single female Betta in a similar tank (40 gallons) and she totally dominated everything in there. She was so aggressive at times that she singled out certain guppies and killed them (both males and females). I lost several fish before I realized she was doing it. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I would still be reluctant to believe it because she was so peaceful looking most of the time. She did move rather quickly around the tank and postured at other inhabitants (even my hand), but didn't usually attack.

You can try it and see, but be prepared to move some fish if you find the Betta is too aggressive. They can be very territorial also, so if you plan on getting more than one (females) introduce them to the tank together.
GeegaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:50 PM   #4 
Purple7

Sorry for not replying sooner! Tsuki (my betta) is not aggressive, he doesn't even puff at his own reflection and his body is barely an inch (I've actually taken a ruler out while he was in the net when being taken out to be placed in new tank) but he's very energetic and curious. I do have a filter running but its on low since bettas don't really need it on high and they don't like currents and it is heated (though because its summer in texas the water has never hit below 75 F even at night and I have no need to turn it on) There are plenty of hiding spaces with a 4 in and 2 in flower pot inside as caves and many plants. i was hoping for a bottom dweller to eat debri but i can't seem to find anything small enough.
Purple7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:51 PM   #5 
It'sJames

Pygmy corries may work out. Cherry or ghost shrimp would also be nice, and they'll clean up the bottom. ADFs get along great with my bettas. Dwarf livebearers (Heterandria formosa) stay quite small, 3 cm max on females, males are half that. I've never kept them, but I would give them a try.
It'sJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:38 PM   #6 
Kim

This seemed like a good place to ask a question that I have wondered about for a long time. Do bettas actually enjoy tank mates in general. I am looking to upgrade my betta's tank from a 5.5 gallon to a 15 gallon planted tank. He is the only fish that I have, so he will be alone. I know that some bettas can coexist peacefully with other fish, but are they happiest this way, or do they really prefer to be alone? It seems as if a tank mate would keep him from getting bored, but what do I know about how betta fish think! Well, I just wanted to know what other people think about this matter.

Kim
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote