Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-16-2008, 10:19 PM   #1 
spartagus

betta and friends

I have an empty 20galleon tank and would love to fill it with a Betta. It's got a filter and heater with it so that's all good, I won't get the fish till I cycle the tank for a week or so, but I'm wondering about company. I've read bits and pieces everywhere, completely contradicting. I'm thinking with a 20g I should have more "play" room with what I'm putting in. I was thinking just a Siamese Algae eater or two and maybe a snail. I would really like to house him with my turtle, tetras, SAEs, bristle nosed pleco and tiger barbs, but I know that would be a disaster, especially if the turtle and Betta caught wind of each other.

Anyway, are Betta's compatible with the SAEs? I think they're catfish, so seems like it would work. Someone told me plecos would be ok, but they get so fat and lazy and I don't think I need the amazing cleaning power of one of the more expensive ones for this tank. Any suggestions? I would love to have more than just the Betta in there, are there any other fish that I could house with that much space for him?
thank you!
spartagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:00 PM   #2 
JMeenen

Spartagus,

Here are a few :
Cory Cats
Tetras
Mollies
Platties
Rasboras
Swardtails
JMeenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:06 PM   #3 
GeegaFish

I actually saw a nice set up with a turtle, some guppies and a couple female bettas in a pet store near me. It can be done, but the tank has to be big enough to give everyone their own territories. There were lots of hiding places and plants in the tank too.

Personally, I just had a 40 gallon with a 4" painted turtle and 30 guppies! I have sinced rehomed my turtle, tank and guppies, but everyone got along just fine. He stopped seeing the fish as food because they were too fast for him to catch. If one got slow or I "knocked one off" though....you should have seen how fast he swam to get them!
GeegaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:38 PM   #4 
spartagus

I would love to combine them all but I'm just not willing to take the risk that my little turtle friend gets hurt! He won't attack anything, but if he feels it's attacking him, game over, but he's not very big yet. He doesn't TOUCH his fish friends except when he knocks them out of the way to get at their food. I've been told it's a bad idea to have guppies in with turtles as the turtles may get bored and nip at the flowing fins, I have a feeling this would happen with a Betta as well.

Won't things like Tetras and Mollies attack the fins though, because of their aggressiveness?
Old 06-17-2008, 08:49 PM   #5 
Cody

A turtle shouldn't be housed in a 20G tank, unless it is tiny. A good rule of thumb to have is 10 gallons of room per 1" of shell, with double the tank filtration since turtles are very messy. For the smallest turtle species, I wouldn't go any less than 55G. For the common Red Eared Slider, you are looknig at a 100+G tank, since they grow very large.

Now, as to your question, it is possible that mollies and some species of tetras will nip. Mollies are also Brackish fish, and do best in hard water. Also, you will be overrun by fry eventually if you get a female, since they can store sperm for months. Some tetras will aswell, such as the more "energetic" ones, like Serpea or Black Skirts. I would only suggest, possibly Cards or Neons, but even those can be nippy.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:23 AM   #6 
JMeenen

I have Neon Tetras, Black Tetras (not Black Skirted) and Red Tetras.Rasboras and Male Betta....No problems
Old 06-18-2008, 11:30 AM   #7 
spartagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody
A turtle shouldn't be housed in a 20G tank, unless it is tiny. A good rule of thumb to have is 10 gallons of room per 1" of shell, with double the tank <span style="color:#3300FF;" onmouseover="return escape('Process of removing waste material from the tank water to prevent pollution')">filtration</span> since turtles are very messy. For the smallest turtle species, I wouldn't go any less than 55G. For the common Red Eared Slider, you are looknig at a 100+G tank, since they grow very large.

Now, as to your question, it is possible that mollies and some species of tetras will nip. Mollies are also <span style="color:#3300FF;" onmouseover="return escape('Brackish water: water containing a small proportion of SALT water and a larger proportion of FRESH water')">brackish</span> fish, and do best in hard water. Also, you will be overrun by fry eventually if you get a female, since they can store sperm for months. Some tetras will aswell, such as the more "energetic" ones, like Serpea or Black Skirts. I would only suggest, possibly Cards or Neons, but even those can be nippy.
turtle is in a 55g for the next 4 years, once he gets to be 5 inches he's getting a 120, I don't have room right now.
He was in a twenty for the first 2 months I had him, until I could afford a bigger tank. He's only 2 inches big right now, so that worked out well. The 20 is now empty, and is the one I'm looking to fill:)
Old 06-18-2008, 06:05 PM   #8 
okiemavis

I'd worry more about the betta than the turtle! A betta could definitely make a good meal :(

As for tankmates, I recommend bottom dwellers the most. They will stay out of each other's space, and won't bother each other. Cory cats are great, as are some small loaches like Kuhlis.

You shouldn't have too much trouble with tetras, provided they are not a particularly nippy type. For instance, serpaes would not work, but neons shouldn't be a problem. Basically I'd try to find fish that are docile and slow moving if they are going to be occupying the part of the water column as the betta.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:28 AM   #9 
JMeenen

Me too..I would think the turtle might eat aa Betta.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:49 AM   #10 
spartagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMeenen
Me too..I would think the turtle might eat aa Betta.
not my turtle...the only interest he ever shows in the fish is when he steals their food. But if the betta were to challenge him aggressively I fear that might be different.

Thanks for all the help!