Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #1 
VJM

Jumped Out of Tank

Yesterday, Jack Frost hopped out of his tank. I found him on the floor behind the credenza. I don't know how long he was out, but I was out of the room for 30 minutes. It was traumatic and terrible, but I got him into a floating solo cup (with tank water) until all the dust and fluff was off, and until he seemed to be able to swim OK and had stopped his labored breathing. I then released him back to his tank.

He swam fine, but couldn't fight the Evolve 4 filter (even in gentle mode), so I turned it off. No light. No food for him. Prayed a lot.

This morning, he was almost back to his old self. His fins are a bit raggedy, but he is swimming fine. I turned on the filter and light, fed him. He had a tough time again for about 20 minutes. I am assuming there is some internal damage that is healing. Turned the filter and light back off. After the 20 minutes, he was much better again. Not quite his old self, but 85%. After feeding dinner, he was a little worse, but then just fine within 5 minutes.

Sorry for the novel, here is my question. He is currently housed in a tank that is cycling. We are battling the ammonia part of the cycle, and I have been changing when it reaches .25 or .5, testing every day. It has lots of plants and hidey places, and he seems really comfortable in there.

Today, the ammonia is .5. Should I do a 25-50% change, knowing it will be added stress for him, or should I wait until tomorrow?

Also, all tops will stay in place always from now on. I was removing them while I was in my office so the plants get more light. No more.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #2 
10asartin

The little bit of stress from a 50% water change is much less traumatic than trying to recover in higher ammonia levels. So I would suggest go ahead with the water change. However, you could always place Jack in a temporary home until he is fully recovered.
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:05 PM   #3 
VJM

I could, but I am sort of worried that moving him and having him in unfamiliar surroundings would be stressful too. Ugh, I wish they could talk and tell me what to do.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:20 PM   #4 
VJM

I forgot to fill out the form. Sorry!

Housing
What size is your tank? Evolve 4, Around 3.5 gallons.
What temperature is your tank? 78*
Does your tank have a filter? yes, baffled on the outflow to a bare whisper
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 1 nerite snail

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? repashy Meat Pie, NLS, Atison's
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day, 3 pellets each time unless his belly is rounded after 2.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Cycling tank. Daily tests, water changes around every otehr day when ammonia reads .25-.50
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25-50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime, 2 drops a gallon, and I probably use up to double ( I am poor dropper)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: .50
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.6
gH: 4*
kH: 8*

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fins are ratty after jumping out of tank
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? quieter, less fluid swimming
When did you start noticing the symptoms? yesterday after out of tank experience for maybe 30 minutes
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Nothing but warm, clean water
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No.
How old is your fish (approximately)? A year or under, probably
Old 04-18-2013, 12:46 AM   #5 
HeroicPoison

safest way to remove your betta from a tank is using a cup and gently scooping him up... i do that with all 7 of mine, it also seems to be less stressful for them. I would house him in a hospital tank until hes feeling a bit better. this makes keeping an eye on him easier, just make sure he has a betta bed or leaves he can rest on near the surface so he can rest well and not worry about getting to the surface for air. id keep lights off for about a week or so to reduce stress which will help the healing process. Also increasing the heat a bit wouldnt hurt
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:59 AM   #6 
Greylady

Wow, I just saw this thread, poor little guy! How's he doing?

The second day I had Gabriel (it is 5 days today) I looked in the tank and didnt see him, I thought he had jumped out, even though I had the lid on, you know how flimsy the lid on the evolve is. I was frantic, looking all over, under and behind the furniture. Then I lifted the lid from the back area and there he is, swimming back there with the pump and heater! Little turd! Scared me to death! Then I couldnt get him out, he kept swimming way down by the pump and under the section were the filter pads are. I stood there with the net thinking hes got to come up for air sometime! I took the heater out to get some more room but its really tight back there. He finally came up but then flipped himself to the filter side. I was so nervous that he would jump right out of the tank. Finally he flips himself back into the tank, whew! It was traumatic alright! That little fish had managed to sneak through the little gap between the cover and the back section. Now I keep, something heavy on the lid to close that gap untill I come up with a better solution.

Have you had any issues with your Evolve 4? How high do you keep the water? I wanted to lower the water a little to reduce the chances of him swimming back through that slit but it seems the water has to be right up to the rim in order for the intake slots to be under water.

Also how did you reduce the outflow? I pulled off the tip of the outflow nozzle and stuck a piece of foam from the filter in there, however I cant seem to find the perfect flow this way. I go from cyclone to nothing...plus I'm afraid I'll burn out the motor by blocking the outflow. What do you think?
Greylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #7 
VJM

He is back to about 90% normal, thank goodness.
I did put a bunch of StressCoat in his tank, in the hopes it will help keep him infection free while he gets a full slime coat back.

I can't believe your guy got back in the filter sump! Little stinkers.

I love mine. I shoved a chunk of coarse sponge over the outflow nozzle, and turned the pump almost all the way down. I would leave the sponge and just turn the pump up slightly.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #8 
Greylady

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJM View Post
He is back to about 90% normal, thank goodness.
I did put a bunch of StressCoat in his tank, in the hopes it will help keep him infection free while he gets a full slime coat back.
I'm glad he's doing better!

Quote:
I can't believe your guy got back in the filter sump! Little stinkers..
I know right! lol, I love the name Gabriel, but I'm starting to think he's more of a trouble maker then a saint!

Quote:
I love mine. I shoved a chunk of coarse sponge over the outflow nozzle, and turned the pump almost all the way down. I would leave the sponge and just turn the pump up slightly.
Oh, hadn't thought of that! I had turned the pump all the way down before I ended up adding the sponge to the outflow. That's a good idea, I can turn the pump back up a little. I do feel outflow when I put my finger in front of it so it is putting out some, but not enough to move the water so it noticable. I just don't want to burn out the pump by blocking the outflow too much.
Greylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:57 PM   #9 
Alcemistnv

Sorry for bringing up a few day old post, but that little butt!

I hope none of them have anymore adventures like this! D:

And he was the calm one too!
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote