Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2013, 07:49 PM   #1 
mbenton89

what kind of filter???

I have my ten gal tank set up and ready to go but my whisper 10i is producing a current that is way to strong for my betta he just gets pushed around. Any advice on a good filter I coiled purchase and where? Something that doesn't produce such a strong current?
Any ideas would help Thanks much
mbenton89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

if you get any hang on back or HOB you could use this method of baffling the filter: http://www.fishforums.com/forum/diy-...er-baffle.html or the same but slightly different: http://www.petfish.net/articles/Do-I...urrentkill.php I use the Walmart brand 5-15 filter for my 10 gallon, it's not like super great or anything but it does get the job done :)
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:40 PM   #3 
Briz

It would be much cheaper to just buy some Fluval foam blocks, cut them to size and rubber-band them to your intake and outtake of the Whisper filter.
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:42 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

True, speaking purely from my experience though the whisper was just too big for being in the tank hence I got the HOB one. Either way, it's good.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:05 PM   #5 
mbenton89

I did baffle the filter I don't know if I didn't do it right or what but my betta was sick the next day hence why he's back in his bowl now. Idk if he cut himself on the baffle or if the current was to strong still but I don't like the baffle idea just looking for any type of filter that is good for a betta ten gal tank Hob or not. Lilnaugrm what filter do you use if not the whisper? it does take up a Lot of room inside my ten gallon
Old 04-17-2013, 09:14 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I use Walmart's Aqua-Tech 5-15 it's a HOB, I think it was only 10.58 or something like that, without the baffle though it still has a strong flow, but I've never had problems with my betta cutting himself on it or anything in fact they stay away from the filter at all.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:20 PM   #7 
mbenton89

So you still have to baffle that filter too? Is there any Hob you dont have to baffle?
Old 04-17-2013, 09:31 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Not really, the only filters that you wouldn't need to baffle are sponge filters. Here's a good little info blurb about them: http://www.bettabits.com/2011/03/how...ters-work.html
Old 04-17-2013, 09:32 PM   #9 
VJM

I have an Azoo Palm with sponge only on the intake. Works very well, but my tank is smaller. Can you have the outflow hit a rock or driftwood?
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:22 AM   #10 
mbenton89

well im going to try and baffle this whisper 10 internal filter i have and see how it goes maybe if i make the baffle a little wider and dont tape it like i did on the bottom it may work better. i taped the bottom of the baffle before and it was submerged in the tank idk if the duct tape was toxic to fish and maybe thats what happened to him idk. the azoo palm fils yr looks to small for my ten gallon. what does everyopne else use in there ten gallon betta tanks?