Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-17-2013, 10:16 PM   #11 
AyalaCookiejar
Member
 
AyalaCookiejar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Nebraska
I attempted to cycle a tank for 3 months. The hardest part is getting the bacteria in the tank. It literally falls from the sky. If the tank is covered its hard to do it without additives. There's less in the air during winter. Also, higher temps and gas exchange at the surface helps along with extra sponge in the filters for more stuff for the BB to grow on.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #12 
slug61
Member
 
slug61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
I tested again this morning without doing a water change.
I now have 30ish nitrate.
It's under 40 but definitely over 20.
I'll leave it a few more days...with TSS you are supposed to wait at least 10 days and preferably 14 before a water change.
slug61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #13 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator
 
Perseusmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
Keep a close eye on those tests since your doing a fish in cycle . I dont think doing small water changes like a gallon at a time will hurt anything . Good luck its always so exciting when your tank finishes cycling its like party time !!!!
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #14 
slug61
Member
 
slug61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
Keep a close eye on those tests since your doing a fish in cycle . I dont think doing small water changes like a gallon at a time will hurt anything . Good luck its always so exciting when your tank finishes cycling its like party time !!!!
Well, in my case, 1 gallon is almost half the tank. I have a 2.5gallon.
slug61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #15 
AyalaCookiejar
Member
 
AyalaCookiejar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by slug61 View Post
Well, in my case, 1 gallon is almost half the tank. I have a 2.5gallon.
Then I'd do like 1/2 gallon changes. You really don't want your nitrates over 40. Long exposures to high nitrates is like secondhand cigarette smoke to humans and it does damage over time, especially if you're exposed to a lot of it.

In that tank size, even cycled, you'll probably need 2 weekly changes because nitrates still build up faster. The only way you could do one change or possibly less weekly is if you have live plants.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:50 PM   #16 
slug61
Member
 
slug61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
Then I'd do like 1/2 gallon changes. You really don't want your nitrates over 40. Long exposures to high nitrates is like secondhand cigarette smoke to humans and it does damage over time, especially if you're exposed to a lot of it.

In that tank size, even cycled, you'll probably need 2 weekly changes because nitrates still build up faster. The only way you could do one change or possibly less weekly is if you have live plants.
I did a 30%ish water change. Nitrates are now between 10 and 20ppm
slug61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do you think its cycled? a123andpoof Betta Fish Care 8 03-23-2012 09:27 AM
could it already be cycled? 0-e inkrealm Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 3 05-22-2011 12:31 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.