Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2013, 09:20 PM   #1 
MoonShadow

I am FED UP with Petco + 3 New Rescues!

Well after the horrifying conditions I found the bettas in petco in last week, I emailed them, they forwarded my email (which included pictures and a video of the condition of the bettas in the store) to the manager and he proceeded to call me the next day. He was pleasant enough on the phone but definitely annoyed. He told me they were going to keep a better eye on the bettas and take them all off the shelves and check them all over and make sure they are all healthy, and blah blah blah. And then he proceeded to reprimand me for taking a video in his store, So I informed him that I would HAPPILY take it down if the conditions of the fish improve.

So I went back into today, exactly 1 week after that phone call, and I am not happy with what I saw! The bettas all looked bad in some way. They were stressed out, had color loss, ripped fins, beginning stages of fin rot, clamped fins, bloating, etc. There was one dead baby. I do not believe they checked them at all, nor do I believe that any sort of water changes have been done since the last time that I was there!

I brought home 2 from petco today and one from petsmart.

The first one from Petco is a red crowntail male who has an awful internal bacterial infection. I don't think he's going to make it through the night, but I'm going to do everything I can for him. I've named him Cosmo

The ammonia reading from his cup, close to 4.0ppm

The second is a little veiltail that my friend fell in love with, he's in bad shape, but I think he might make it. His name is Martini.

His ammonia was also around 4.0ppm

and the boy from petsmart is an extremely skinny doubletail, but he's active so I think he's going to be fine. Meet Chai

His ammonia was around 0.50ppm
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:05 PM   #2 
MoonShadow

Unfortunately the little red CT, Cosmo, just passed away...
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:17 PM   #3 
Fenghuang

SIP Cosmo. /:

You're amazing, MoonShadow. It's very inspirational what you do.
Fenghuang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:31 PM   #4 
wah543

wow that's just terrible veiltail looks pretty nice though hopefully he gets better
wah543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:43 AM   #5 
rmarkham

So sad..

I hope the other two pull through for you.
rmarkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:47 AM   #6 
Tikibirds

my petco is the same
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:52 AM   #7 
Nibblez

wow.. Cosmo looks so terrible in that first photo. Hope the other two make it through with a full recovery
Nibblez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:01 AM   #8 
Stone

Well I hate to say this but if you are paying full price to rescue the bettas, you are just making the problem worse, they will just order more and the care of them will not change,usually when I rescue I make a big enough fuss to either get them discounted or free, I have been thinking of ways to solve this problem and basically you have to go above the store level and take it to their home office, which will just make the store clean up their act breify. I am thinking about posting vids on youtube along with sending them to their home office, the youtube vid should contain the store it's location the managers names even better if they have that wonderful pic out in the store this is your store manager sign use that and of course any emials sent to home office and their replys
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:45 AM   #9 
Crowntails

I hope the other 2 pull through.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:53 AM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I'm so fortunate that my PetCo isn't like this! I don't know what I'd do (I'd probably end up with all the bettas at home) if they were like this, although my PetSmart isn't great but they do take better care than this!

Shame on that manager, I understand he has to make sales, but this is ridiculous and completely uncalled for. Don't they realize that they will sell more if their stock is in tip top shape?!?! Why doesn't this add up in people's heads sometimes?!
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote