Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #11 
jadaBlu

The store managers are a waste of time I find most are rude if you actually find them in store. They usually are gone. I like the idea of post the videos on Youtube and writing corporate. I do worry what the the likely response is that they will just take sickly bettas off the floor. That's what I've seen them do when I complained. I would try for discounts but I have found Petco to be the most unwilling to to give discounts on sick fish. When I tried they wanted to clear with the regional manager. I got the distinct sense someone was going to get in trouble for discounting.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:09 AM   #12 
MoonShadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone View Post
Well I hate to say this but if you are paying full price to rescue the bettas, you are just making the problem worse, they will just order more and the care of them will not change,usually when I rescue I make a big enough fuss to either get them discounted or free, I have been thinking of ways to solve this problem and basically you have to go above the store level and take it to their home office, which will just make the store clean up their act breify. I am thinking about posting vids on youtube along with sending them to their home office, the youtube vid should contain the store it's location the managers names even better if they have that wonderful pic out in the store this is your store manager sign use that and of course any emials sent to home office and their replys

I have rescued many many many bettas that I have gotten either completely free or discounted. But I will not leave a betta in need behind. Im sorry but I wont. But I dont go buy it and leave. I talk to employees, point out whats wrong. They hate to see me coming. But refusing to buy a fish isnt going to break their back. Their real money doesnt come from selling the animals but from selling the supplies for that animal. And I REFUSE to buy anymore supplies of any kind from them. And seriously I know rescuing is a controversial topic but whether you bring that sick fish home or leave it to die on the shelf its still going to be replaced.
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #13 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonShadow View Post
I have rescued many many many bettas that I have gotten either completely free or discounted. But I will not leave a betta in need behind. Im sorry but I wont. But I dont go buy it and leave. I talk to employees, point out whats wrong. They hate to see me coming. But refusing to buy a fish isnt going to break their back. Their real money doesnt come from selling the animals but from selling the supplies for that animal. And I REFUSE to buy anymore supplies of any kind from them. And seriously I know rescuing is a controversial topic but whether you bring that sick fish home or leave it to die on the shelf its still going to be replaced.
+1

They get ALL of their fish stock for pennies on the dollar (such is the purpose of wholesale), and it doesn't really matter to them if they all live or die.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:33 AM   #14 
newbettaguy

MoonShadow

Your efforts are admirable and an inspiration... You rock
newbettaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #15 
crystalicethorn

I'm inspired by what you do :')
I only saved 2 males from ending up in a fish bowl, but thats it, nothing special. I wish i could help more bettas in the future. And i hope the other two recover!
And I hate the fact that people only care about money! It makes me sick and i cant stand the thought of these little guys suffering every single day.
crystalicethorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #16 
Artemis

My next will be a rescue or an AB. We are going to move Finn downstairs and have an empty tank begging to be filled :)

SIP Cosmo. The little DT is going to be adorable!
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #17 
MoonShadow

Martini didnt make it either. I feel like such an absolute failure. ..
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:45 AM   #18 
newbettaguy

You need to stop beatting yourself up Moon.... You do sooo very much for the little babies... yOU ARE FIGHTING AN UPHILL BATTLE AGAINST BOX STORE EMPLYEES WHO DONT CARE ABOUT THE FISH.

Opps sorry for the caps
newbettaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #19 
Wildbetta

SIP Cosmo and Martini!!

You are not a complete failure! Look at how many you have rescued and saved from for sure death? Unfortunately not all of them are strong enough to recover. Having 4.0 ammonia in their cups for who knows how long definitely doesn't help matters. Plus for the short amount of time you had them, they at least had clean warm water.

Rescuing bettas like this doesn't make any difference to the store's bottom line. Whether they sell them or not, they still get paid for them.
Wildbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:02 PM   #20 
Catw0man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonShadow View Post
Martini didnt make it either. I feel like such an absolute failure. ..
In the case of rescuing fish I think you need to measure success by how hard you tried. Many of us who love bettas or any fish or any living creature, will speak up about mistreatment or abuse and do what is in our power to do in order to help. Our caring and desire to help makes a difference. YOUR caring and desire to help makes a difference!!!! Even if certain fish don't make it, their stories inspire others to make changes and do what they can to make the world a better place in whatever small way they can....all that caring adds up! Don't stop doing what you're doing! You are a HUGE success in my book!!!
Catw0man is offline   Reply With Quote