Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2013, 10:04 PM   #1 
Blue Fish

So, how active are your bettas?

So, weird question, how active are bettas normally? I've got a couple of whom I can't decide if they're not feeling quite up-to-snuff, or if they're just not terribly active little guys?

So, how active are *your* bettas? :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:31 PM   #2 
Jexx

All three of mine are different. Galileo goes between shooting back and forth across his tank like a bullet and laying on every leaf in his tank like they were created for him to sleep on. Esmeralda just swims around at her own pace looking at everything and mostly prefers to look outside the tank. Sesshomaru like to either stay at the top and watch the bubbles from his filter or look at his plants.
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:38 PM   #3 
Ramla

It varies a lot, my first betta was fairly laid back, would dart around every so often, but over all was kind of lazy, and a bit jumpy no matter what as well. Where as the betta I have now, doesn't seem to be afraid of anything, and flares everytime I go to feed him. Ate all my ghost shrimp too, when I tried to introduce them to help with algae.

So I'd say for your betta's if they have generally good water params and everything else they would need to make them happy, they may be just lazy fish, and they are fine.
Ramla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:44 PM   #4 
Kaxen

Henry doesn't swim around much, but he's always busy bubble nesting. And he always flares at me. He usually stays in the top half of the aquarium.

Addie swims around a lot and very quickly, but also chills on the decorations once in a while. She goes all over.
Kaxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:34 PM   #5 
jadaBlu

I've been thinking about this and I think that something to think about is the size and type of betta. I think some betta tail types are just more active and they have different personalities that influence what they do. My double tails and half moons are more friendly (especially the double tails) and interactive. The veil tails are more fierce. For example.

You can look at my album see which fish I am referring to. Zeus for example is a really large finned fish he is very laid back and not that active he is very friendly and swims right up if he notices me going by. I find that both Nano and Fiero (no pic yet) who are veil tails are very active fish and spend lots of time zooming back and forth and enjoy a little flaring. Perseus who is probably a veiltail mix and is very large is not that active perhaps a little slow swimming and only comes about when he thinks he's getting food. I'd say he's a little shy toward me but more fierce toward other fish. Gossamer a half moon with very light weight opaque fins casually swims about until he sees me then he's one big bundle of wiggly energy. Ollie I guess he's a medium sized double tail he was more active since i have been feeding him more he's been getting more sedentary, he still does his wiggly feed me dance but I don't see him swimming around the tank as much. He goes and hangs out on plants or in his column cave. My female crowntail Penelope is very active always darting around the tank but will rest on a plant once in while. My male crown tail Curly el gallo is lower in energy and very shy and prefers to hide behind his favorite plant. He is so afraid of the sight of another betta even 2 feet away in another tank he turns brown and gets stripes when he is normally rooster colored. He come out if I am in the room.
John Clyde I believe is a double tail he is active all day, he stares and flares but the flaring isn't really confrontational it seems to be to get my attention. He also likes to hang out on leaves stare at me swim around and flop on a leaf and stare again. Galileo is a small half moon active only if I am in the room when I walk in he might be swimming a little but he might just as well be laying on a leaf.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:44 PM   #6 
bettacrazygirl86

My male betta is kinda lazy with his swimming. He swims around, so I guess you can say he's pretty active. He just explores his tank a lot. He's almost always in motion, unless he's resting. My female, on the other hand, is always zooming around, especially when she knows I'm looking. My baby betta is a little harder to tell. He's so tiny, he's hard to see from my bed, where I usually sit. He wiggles a lot when I go up to his tank though. My sister's betta is usually pretty lazy and just lies around. He explores a bit, and finds a comfy spot to rest and just stays there. They're all different, so your betta might just be lazy. :)
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote