Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2013, 12:18 AM   #1 
Linkus

Ugh frustrated!

Well it's been several months since I started trying to breed my fish. I have always had no luck with the fish actually spawning, tonight was the first time for that so I was pretty excited.
I am pretty sure they both ate the eggs though, at first he wasn't getting that he is supposed to put them in the nest and I think she was eating them off the bottom a few times I saw her attempting to put them in the nest but I don't think she successfully did it. After a little bit he started to pick up the eggs but I don't think he got them into the nest either.. Anyone else experience this? Could this be because they are both virgins? Should I try again in a month?

He is now 'defending' a (I think) empty nest.
*sigh* bitter sweet
Linkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:38 AM   #2 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkus View Post
Well it's been several months since I started trying to breed my fish. I have always had no luck with the fish actually spawning, tonight was the first time for that so I was pretty excited.
I am pretty sure they both ate the eggs though, at first he wasn't getting that he is supposed to put them in the nest and I think she was eating them off the bottom a few times I saw her attempting to put them in the nest but I don't think she successfully did it. After a little bit he started to pick up the eggs but I don't think he got them into the nest either.. Anyone else experience this? Could this be because they are both virgins? Should I try again in a month?

He is now 'defending' a (I think) empty nest.
*sigh* bitter sweet
I have no experience in this at all BUT I would say wait a little while and see if you start seeing any babies :) obviously if after 24 hours theres no sign of life than you may want to try again. (I feel like they start hatching earlier than 24 hours..right? or later?)
Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:45 AM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Hatching is 36 to 48 hours... You really should be able to see cream colored eggs in the nest. I would reconditioned and try again in a few weeks. How did you condition them?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:03 AM   #4 
Linkus

I have been feeding them frozen bloodworms and they are set up in a ten gallon that's half full with a hiding place, heater, a sponge filter that isn't running atm. Thermometer etc. the female has been in a tube in the tank so he can look at her, occasionally i let them swim around freely with one another.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:09 AM   #5 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Ok so you conditioned in the spawn tank with constant exposure between the two fish? During conditioning the pair should see each other 30 minutes a day max and you should not condition either in the spawn tank. You should feed a variety of frozen, live, and even high quality pellet foods... The key is variety.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:23 AM   #6 
Linkus

I have tried to switch it up. Somedays they get the blood worms other days pellets. I do have some brine shrimp I could give them too.

My boyfriend just discovered two eggs on the tank floor but now the male is completely ignoring the nest and eggs
Old 04-18-2013, 09:40 AM   #7 
Myates

Conditioning is feeding large quantities of live/frozen foods with some high quality pellets here and there (feed 2-3x a day).. can take anywhere from 3 days to 2+ weeks to get the female eggy.. keep them in their own separate tanks, place a piece of paper or cardboard between the two tanks (called carding), allow them to see each other no longer than 10 minutes a day. Don't use the breeding tank to condition them.. they need their own separate smaller tanks (ones that can be placed side by side).

Being virgin fish, it's not uncommon for mishaps to happen - the eggs may not of been fertilized properly due to not wrapping correctly. Also some males don't always know exactly what to do sometimes when it comes to parenting.

I am a nervous wreck with new daddies.. my last spawn I removed the dad just after hatching, and I have a new dad in with a batch of eggs that were laid yesterday afternoon.. nervous that he may eat them or neglect them. But all we can do is trust them at first and see how they do.

I would go ahead and remove him and don't disturb the nest just yet.. give it another day or two and see if you get any surprises. Not all the eggs need the father there to care for them.. so you may have some up in the nest you can't see too well that may hatch.

Make sure the temp is about 82-86F. After you remove the male, use an airline tubing and siphon out a lot of the water, leaving only enough to cover the heater (suctioned to the bottom of the tank) and wait to see if you get any fry over the next couple of days.

After conditioning reintroduce the male to the spawn tank, then the female - keep her separated in the chimney until she is ready to breed - flirt swimming, stripes (if she is a darker color), wanting to follow him, etc.. he has built a nest, dancing for her, trying to lead her to the nest. Then release them, cover the front of the tank (in my experience that makes it a bit easier to get them to spawn) and let them be. Leave an inch or two at the top of the tank uncovered to peek in without disturbing them.. check regularly to make sure they aren't killing one another.

Good luck! Your fish did the deed.. even if it wasn't successful, they know the general idea of what to do and it's practice so hopefully next time it will come a bit easier for them.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:34 PM   #8 
Basement Bettas

I had some issues with water.. here is a link on my blog..

http://basementbettas.wordpress.com/...verdict-is-in/

mods.. feel free to delete if not appropriate..

read over what I went through.

Crud like what you are experiencing happens.. and most often can be traced back to a water quality issue.

Last edited by indjo; 04-18-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #9 
Basement Bettas

whoops.. that is the first of the discussion. Use water quality in the search bar and you can see others as I worked my way to successful spawns
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:45 PM   #10 
logisticsguy

Ok I am so glad Im not the only one with this kind of problem. My water is high ph and hard hard hard. very frustrated but I have spawned in this rockwater in the past. Considering mixing in a % of filtered rainwater slowly. Or is r/o the only answer?
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote