Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2013, 12:32 AM   #1 
jadaBlu

Do you ever suffer from betta envy?

Even though I have some really lovely fish. Most are not great form or any of that but they are wonderful! Some of them were "rescued" so I wasn't screening for a particular trait. However, when I venture onto the pictures of the new fish that people find at Petsmart or Petco and I wonder how is it that they find these awesome, perfect looking fish and when I go I never see fish that look really extraordinary? For moment I forget how lovely my fish are and I want to go hunting until I find "that fish". I have 10 so I have to quit for now.

A side note: I do have theory I think the fish from some stores come from the same lines/breeders. Because I look at some of my fish and I see color or shape similarities that are just too familiar. On the occasion I've gone specifically looking most fish just look too similar.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:34 AM   #2 
Kithy

YES!!

Sometimes I look at my betta and I'm like "Hey.. look what you did to your fins!? Why can't you be purdyful like this betta here? T_T"

I think that if I either get more tank space or my two bettas pass I may look into finding a fish that I like merely for aesthetic reasons :3 I definitely love my two bettas and they're pretty in their own way but I really want a halfmoon lol
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:25 AM   #3 
majesticstorm

I totally do! I sometimes say to myself that "if only I had waited, I probably would've found a prettier boy". But at the end of the day, and when I see the happy dances that they do when they see me, I think that they're adorable and I love them so much. :)
majesticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:43 AM   #4 
Kongbetta

The best thing is,when you breed and see the fry growing up
Kongbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:54 AM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

I collect wild bettas and finding some species is near impossible because they are either very endangered or not readily available in Australia.

I have three species I would sell my soul to get my hands on, and when I see someone who has them I have to admit to some petty jealousy and self-pity.

I think it's natural to have a bit of 'grass is greener' syndrome. I know I am lucky to be able to own and breed some of the bettas I do but that doesn't mean I don't want more!
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:29 PM   #6 
Raincloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kithy View Post
YES!!

Sometimes I look at my betta and I'm like "Hey.. look what you did to your fins!? Why can't you be purdyful like this betta here? T_T"

I think that if I either get more tank space or my two bettas pass I may look into finding a fish that I like merely for aesthetic reasons :3 I definitely love my two bettas and they're pretty in their own way but I really want a halfmoon lol

I REALLY want a half moon too! I can't even go to petco, because I don't have the funds right now for another fish :(
Raincloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:20 PM   #7 
samiam11894

I'm happy with my boys, but every time I see a pretty girl I get so jealous! The prettiest of my girls died after eating the fungus off of a betta bulb and my other girl is not the prettiest of colors
samiam11894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:05 PM   #8 
mermaid77

I'd be lying if I said NO! LOL
I love my two little ones...but being both babies, obviously neither of them were chosen knowing how they'll turn out...though Morgana is adorable and Merlin looks promising in the looks department with his black, blue and yellow colors starting to show...:)
I have them in a 3g and a 5g and I do not want another tank to care for...nor am I a fan of the divided tanks for the sake of keeping more fish after my experiences with bacterial and parasitic infections the pet store fish seem to come home with so...for as long as I keep fish, they'll each be in their own separate tanks!
I hope these two little sweeties live a long and healthy life...but when the day comes that one of them will pass...I can totally see myself picking out my dream fish from Aquabid! Heaven knows I ogle at the absolutely GORGEOUS fish on that site every other day...
The feeling of guilt immediately follows these thoughts though...because first and foremost...all deserve to be cared for and loved, regardless of their looks...which in turn makes me proud to have gone for the pet store 'mutts' instead...who are every bit as loveable and still very beautiful in their own right...:)
mermaid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:40 PM   #9 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raincloud View Post
I REALLY want a half moon too! I can't even go to petco, because I don't have the funds right now for another fish :(
Same D: And my husband is always "no more fish, no more fish tanks, blahblahblah". Someday though *_* I will fill a tank with pretty bettas that I like to look at all day.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:45 PM   #10 
Artemis

I'm starting to get a tank ready for a new betta. It's going to be great! I will set up likely a Greeky-Romany-Egyptainy-Ancienty theme for him and give him a Greek name.

The way to pick a good fish is watch and wait. Find out when your store gets shipments on bettas, often different then different fish due to numbers, and go then to find the one that screams at you PICK ME PICK ME and take it home. Don't go to get a fish and be desperate, wait. Patience is VERY hard but VERY key.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote