Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #1 
Roemgie

OMG! Snail?!??!?! I REALLY need some help!!

Ok so I know this isn't betta related (I apologize I just figured that since snails can have a large bioload that it could be effecting the fish??)

So while just looking at my 5 gallon I saw something moving...a snail...I of course panicked because the other day I had accidentally added too much ammonia but didn't really check it until yesterday so that means the poor little guy has been going through a high ammonia tank for like 2 to 3 days!!
Since no one was thought to be living in there I just added some ammonia drops to keep my cycle alive in case I need it for a spare tank...

ANYWHO so I am slightly excited but I for one have no earthly idea how in the world to care for this little guy AND I'm slowly getting him use to the 10 gallon water but I'm not sure if I should be releasing him into that tank (although I know there will be a lot for him to feed on).

I really need someones help because I don't want him to die but I also don't want to have a tank over...like I said I'm excited because I like snails and I had at some point wanted to get some but changed my mind and of course now I've got one and I don't know what to do...ALSO cool thing :) I got to see him poop and I know that sounds gross but we learned about snail's systems in Zoology and I honestly thought that was so awesome. Weirdo I know lol

Here are some pictures

Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:07 PM   #2 
crystalicethorn

I have a couple of snails in a fish bowl and they have been there for 3 months now and are doing well. I dont want to put him with my fish as they might dominate the tank.
If you want to keep it, i suggest a bowl with a small number of plants in it, and that should be fine.
Also, it looks like a bladder snail, I have one too.
crystalicethorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #3 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalicethorn View Post
I have a couple of snails in a fish bowl and they have been there for 3 months now and are doing well. I dont want to put him with my fish as they might dominate the tank.
If you want to keep it, i suggest a bowl with a small number of plants in it, and that should be fine.
Also, it looks like a bladder snail, I have one too.
Oh ok awesome I'm glad you can at least ID him! He has a slightly rounded shell. I knew he wasn't a mystery snail because I've seen plenty of those and I had thought about getting one at some point.

Do you think it would be safe to let him into my tank? I have a lot more to offer in the 10 rather than the five and its cycled. My biggest concern is that I could have sworn I heard that you can 'feed' snails to bettas or at least fish in general. Also in they'll pick at them enough that it 'eats' them or at least kills them. Is that something to be worried about?

And I have most of my plants in my 10 gallon so that means that it should be something in my five that had them in it...but i did move a few to my 10 gallon. How long does it take them to grow? And being that I only see one could I be safe to say he would stay as one and not be fertilized and multiple?
Old 04-18-2013, 12:42 PM   #4 
Wildbetta

That is a pond snail or a bladder snail. ( I am never really clear on the main difference) I like my pond snails but I also cultivate them to feed my assassin snails. They will take over your tank without another snail present if you overfeed your tank or there is a lot of food right off the bat for it to feed off of. They lay their eggs in a jelly like pod on the tank glass most of the time or on the plants/decor. They can over run the tank quickly just be aware. They are perfectly fine in any temp of water and will eat just about anything including plants if nothing else is there.
Wildbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #5 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbetta View Post
That is a pond snail or a bladder snail. ( I am never really clear on the main difference) I like my pond snails but I also cultivate them to feed my assassin snails. They will take over your tank without another snail present if you overfeed your tank or there is a lot of food right off the bat for it to feed off of. They lay their eggs in a jelly like pod on the tank glass most of the time or on the plants/decor. They can over run the tank quickly just be aware. They are perfectly fine in any temp of water and will eat just about anything including plants if nothing else is there.
Ok I'm glad to know what they are! And I've never noticed any jelly like sack on the glass of my tank or on my plants (but I've never bothered to look either). I did let him go in my 10 gallon because I know there's at least something for him to feed on in there (although I don't know how much fish food will actually reach the bottom).

This is the 5 gallon he was in

This is the 10 gallon I just let him go in

I hope I didn't do something bad -_-
Old 04-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #6 
Wildbetta

Just depends on what you think is "bad". LOL I have lots of pond snails in at least two of my tanks at the moment. I don't personally mind snails but I know some people who that would just upset them to find one snail in their tank.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:59 PM   #7 
Artemis

That royal girl up front is so pretty! I don't acclimate my snails. Ever. Some snails need more then 1 to reproduce although many don't so you might be overrun but not if you don't overfeed. They will only breed as much as needed to help with the food and algae.

I love pond snails and MTS (Malaysian Trumpet Snails) personally.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #8 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbetta View Post
Just depends on what you think is "bad". LOL I have lots of pond snails in at least two of my tanks at the moment. I don't personally mind snails but I know some people who that would just upset them to find one snail in their tank.
Personally I just see him as a new child to take care of :) and I'm actually really excited to have him there! I just wonder which plant and from where he came from :/ I got drift wood (dry and I soaked it for a while before it got into my tank). I got several plants and I don't know exactly how long it takes for them to grow so who knows.

But now I have yet ANOTHER little one to name -_- I for some reason have had a lot of trouble with naming lately
Old 04-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #9 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
That royal girl up front is so pretty! I don't acclimate my snails. Ever. Some snails need more then 1 to reproduce although many don't so you might be overrun but not if you don't overfeed. They will only breed as much as needed to help with the food and algae.

I love pond snails and MTS (Malaysian Trumpet Snails) personally.
Well he's in there now and I noticed a few minutes ago that my girls were taking an interest in him and now he's not moving around as much as he was. I'm not sure if they hurt him or not :( I shooed them away and I'm hoping he'll start moving around soon so that he can find a better spot to stay!

And thank you :) her name is Opal
Old 04-18-2013, 03:25 PM   #10 
Wildbetta

Although I have seen and known some bettas to attack snails the majority of them were bigger snails that actually made a "presence" in the tank(think nerite snails or mystery snails). Most smaller snails bettas will be curious because that is their nature but normally they are small enough to not really garner the attention it would take for them to kill them. Plus snails are very resilient and will just pull themselves back into their shells. I do know of people taking small pond snails and smashing them where the bettas can eat the snail since the shell is destroyed and that the bettas do eat the snail. My thoughts are that if you have one that is the size of that one...you definitely have more but they are more than likely too small to see yet. Since these snails reproduce without needing another snail, you could easily have a decent amount of them without much work from you. I actually had some very pretty pond snails and the ones that are breeding in my tanks are descendants of that one pretty snail.