Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #1 
crystalicethorn

A couple of questions.

Since I'm still quite new to the hobby I just want to ask some general questions.

1. Food
I have some very picky bettas. One in particular will only eat flakes. I know they are bad for him but he will not except pellets and the only other food he eats are the frozen blood worms he gets once a week, and the occasional chunk of beef.
I dont want to starve him but i feel bad feeding him flakes. So i was wondering if they really are as bad as people say they are, and maybe give me ideas to change his diet.

2. Stress
One of my females always gets stress stripes whenever i enter the room or come close the the fish tank. It this normal for shy females? It has gotten less but I'm still worried, but she is eating and doing well otherwise.

3. Snails
Not really about the betta itself but what i want to put in their tank. I have a 1 gallon fish bowl where i dump in all my unwanted snails because I'm worried they will over populate the tank. I just wanted to know if i put single snails in a tank will they reproduce asexually? Or will they be fine, there is also no chance of extra food on the floor knowing my greedy fish.
I have;
1 Bladder snail
4 Pond Snails
1 fresh water limpet
3 Ramshorn Snails

4. Plastic plants being eaten away.
One of the only plastic plants in my tank, is attached to a fake rock hiding spot and i dont want to remove it. The funny thing is, that the leaves of the fake plant are being nibbled away and i dont know why. I tried to find a snail which may have gotten a little confused but i didnt find anything when i cleaned my tank. Any ideas what it could be?

Every little bit of info helps!
crystalicethorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #2 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalicethorn View Post
Since I'm still quite new to the hobby I just want to ask some general questions.

1. Food
I have some very picky bettas. One in particular will only eat flakes. I know they are bad for him but he will not except pellets and the only other food he eats are the frozen blood worms he gets once a week, and the occasional chunk of beef.
I dont want to starve him but i feel bad feeding him flakes. So i was wondering if they really are as bad as people say they are, and maybe give me ideas to change his diet.

It's not that flakes are really bad per say, just that pellets are superior. Personally I don't feed anything but omega one pellets. The only reason I have found for live foods is breeding and I have no plans for that.

2. Stress
One of my females always gets stress stripes whenever i enter the room or come close the the fish tank. It this normal for shy females? It has gotten less but I'm still worried, but she is eating and doing well otherwise.

It sounds more like excitement than stress, i.e. "I'm gonna get fed!" It should fade away in time and routine.

3. Snails
Not really about the betta itself but what i want to put in their tank. I have a 1 gallon fish bowl where i dump in all my unwanted snails because I'm worried they will over populate the tank. I just wanted to know if i put single snails in a tank will they reproduce asexually? Or will they be fine, there is also no chance of extra food on the floor knowing my greedy fish.
I have;
1 Bladder snail
4 Pond Snails
1 fresh water limpet
3 Ramshorn Snails

Most snails will reproduce asexually, even ones the ads claim won't. I am no snail expert, but I can tell you I can't get all the rams horns out of my 75 gallon tropical tank. Personally I have no use for snails. IMO they produce more waste than they are worth.

One of the only plastic plants in my tank, is attached to a fake rock hiding spot and i dont want to remove it. The funny thing is, that the leaves of the fake plant are being nibbled away and i dont know why. I tried to find a snail which may have gotten a little confused but i didnt find anything when i cleaned my tank. Any ideas what it could be?

Not a clue there! Never heard of plastic eatting animals.

Hope this helps!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #3 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalicethorn View Post

1. Food

2. Stress

3. Snails
I have;
1 Bladder snail
4 Pond Snails
1 fresh water limpet
3 Ramshorn Snails

1. I believe flakes can cause bloat in some bettas (someone can correct me if I'm wrong). Have you considered trying a different type of pellet? Or adding other frozen foods (i.e. Glassworms, Daphnia, Shrimp).

2. How long have you had her?

3. I am pretty sure all those snail species are asexual. The snails that have been branded "Mystery Snails" at PetSmart do require two partners to breed.

4. Maybe the plant is defective and falling apart. That's about all I got.
NeptunesMom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:18 PM   #4 
crystalicethorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
It's not that flakes are really bad per say, just that pellets are superior. Personally I don't feed anything but omega one pellets. The only reason I have found for live foods is breeding and I have no plans for that.

Ok, the flakes I got are supposed to be for bettas but i wasnt sure and i will be slowly trying to get him used to pellets from now on. I feed mine frozen bloodworms and I'm planning on buying a few other frozen worms and shrimp. I like to vary their diet because i find it makes them happy.

It sounds more like excitement than stress, i.e. "I'm gonna get fed!" It should fade away in time and routine.

Could be, she's the one that likes to jump for her food the most. So you are probably right.

Most snails will reproduce asexually, even ones the ads claim won't. I am no snail expert, but I can tell you I can't get all the rams horns out of my 75 gallon tropical tank. Personally I have no use for snails. IMO they produce more waste than they are worth.

Oh well, but i will still let them live their life in a bowl. They can never be over fed so they will probably not reproduce.

Not a clue there! Never heard of plastic eating animals.

I will keep checking, otherwise i will cut off the plant part
Thanks so much!
Old 04-18-2013, 02:25 PM   #5 
crystalicethorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesMom View Post
1. I believe flakes can cause bloat in some bettas (someone can correct me if I'm wrong). Have you considered trying a different type of pellet? Or adding other frozen foods (i.e. Glassworms, Daphnia, Shrimp).

I have 3 different pellet types and sizes; large shrimp pellets (not that big but i crush them slightly before feeding and they only get this sometimes), medium ones, and small. And he will take none of them. And yeah i'm going to get some more frozen foods tomorrow, because the store got a new shipment today :)

2. How long have you had her?

About a month.

3. I am pretty sure all those snail species are asexual. The snails that have been branded "Mystery Snails" at PetSmart do require two partners to breed.

I have decided to keep them in the bowl :3
That way i wont have to kill them and they wont take over my tank

4. Maybe the plant is defective and falling apart. That's about all I got.

I'll keep checking, otherwise i will cut off the plant part.
Thanks!