Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2013, 02:42 PM   #1 
bettacrazygirl86

Zebra Nerite Eggs

So, my Zebra Nerite Snail laid eggs on my terracotta pot decoration. I was wondering, could I hatch them if I moved them into a salt water tank? What do I have to do in order to set it up and hatch them?

Could I put them in a 3 gallon KK with salt water and hatch them? My LFS carries the salt needed to make it saltwater, I believe, since they have salt water fish.

Once I hatch them (if I manage to, that is), how do I get them to be able to live in freshwater? I would like to sell them.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #2 
WolfHhowling

Nerite Snail is a freshwater snail/ brackish water snail. you do not half to make saltwater, just freshwater with some salt in it.

When people treat there tanks with salt for ich, they are really making the water brackish. There isn't enough salt to call it salt water, and there isn't enough freshwater to call it fresh. Brackish water happens when salt water meats fresh so its like a 50/50 mix at the mouth, and about a mile up the brackish water, starts loosing salinity till it turns into true freshwater.

I read that nitrile snails, do not breed at all in fresh water, by any chance did you medicate your tank recently with Aq salt? Or are you treating your betta?

Also, salt water true salt water that the salt water fish live in will kill the eggs and true freshwater nerite snails. You do not half to do anything to take them from brackish to salt. However I would slowly lower the salinity till fresh, for babies.

Last edited by WolfHhowling; 04-25-2013 at 04:21 PM.
WolfHhowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #3 
bettacrazygirl86

No, it's completely freshwater. But there are eggs EVERYWHERE. I would like to be able to hatch them and have baby nerited to sell, since I've already have some interest in them.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:22 PM   #4 
WolfHhowling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettacrazygirl86 View Post
No, it's completely freshwater. But there are eggs EVERYWHERE. I would like to be able to hatch them and have baby nerited to sell, since I've already have some interest in them.

If its not completely fresh water, they will hatch with no disturbance...

Pur salt water will kill them.

Its rather odd, then if they bred in complete freshwater..... they must be getting some salt...or there just odd snails. lol

Last edited by WolfHhowling; 04-25-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #5 
bettacrazygirl86

I have no idea. There isn't any salt in the water that I'm aware of. It's a planted tank, which I treat with Prime and Flourish, but I don't think that would have anything to do with it... I've also been using stress coat to help ease a fin tear back to normal. There really are eggs everywhere though...

If I were to make a tank of brackish water, what would I do? What would I use? Do I need a heater for them, or would they be fine without one?
Old 04-25-2013, 05:09 PM   #6 
Briz

The general concession is that the eggs don't hatch in freshwater, except rarely a few. This website talks about how to hatch the eggs and care for the babies, not sure how accurate the information is though. http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/snail/nerite.php
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #7 
WolfHhowling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briz View Post
The general concession is that the eggs don't hatch in freshwater, except rarely a few. This website talks about how to hatch the eggs and care for the babies, not sure how accurate the information is though. http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/snail/nerite.php
The info is completely accurate, save the saltwater part. lol. Fresh water species don't need salt water lol, nor like it very much.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:24 PM   #8 
bettacrazygirl86

I think I've read up on it enough, so I think I'm set! I plan on using my 3 gallon KK, once I get some marine salt to make the water brackish. Hopefully they hatch so I can sell them! I have algae wafers to feed them, and I have a crappy Tetra heater that will at least keep the water warm enough so they don't freeze. Never had a problem with the heater, so I'm sure it'll be fine.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:13 PM   #9 
WolfHhowling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettacrazygirl86 View Post
I think I've read up on it enough, so I think I'm set! I plan on using my 3 gallon KK, once I get some marine salt to make the water brackish. Hopefully they hatch so I can sell them! I have algae wafers to feed them, and I have a crappy Tetra heater that will at least keep the water warm enough so they don't freeze. Never had a problem with the heater, so I'm sure it'll be fine.
Don't forget to get them a larg peace of cuddle bone. ( you should find it in the turle section) they need the calcium to make there shells!
Old 04-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #10 
Artemis

Cuttle bone is very common in the bird section of places like PetCo. I doubt they are nerite eggs. They won't lay in fresh water. IME
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote