Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-19-2008, 11:41 PM   #1 
kailey11293

Bettas Snails and Fish Tails

I have asked a few questions in the past and i have always gotten helpful advice so i thought that this would be the place to go for just a few more :)

I was thinking about getting a little friend for my betta fish in the future. i only have a 2.5 gallon tank but i have 3 live plants in my tank so i was hoping to get something that could help keep my plants and tank in tip top shape! i was thinking maybe a snail or something like that...does anyone have any suggestions for and fish or snails for my tank size?

thanks a bunch! :D
kailey11293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:04 AM   #2 
iamntbatman

Though a 2.5 gallon tank is suitable for a betta, there aren't a whole lot of options for tankmates in a tank that small. There isn't enough room to safely put any other fish in there. Mystery snails get pretty big - about the size of a golf ball - and produce a huge amount of waste so eventually they'll outgrow your aquarium as well. Smaller snails also present a problem, as pond snails and ramshorns will eat your plants and even a single Malaysian Trumpet Snail will quickly multiply out of control. Not to mention that people have mixed experiences with bettas and snails. Some bettas are known to harass snails constantly.

A better option might be some shrimp. Again, some bettas are known to eat freshwater shrimp, so I would start with some really inexpensive ghost shrimp. You can usually find them for $0.25 or less a piece, so it's not a huge loss if the betta decides to eat them. They also do a good job of eating any uneaten food that sinks to the bottom.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:07 AM   #3 
Meatpuppet

theres acctually not a whole lot you could do with a 2.5gall.
maybe a snail at the leas but even thats pushing it bcuz they poo alot and have an impact on the parameters.
if you have a five gallon you could put in some shrimp but with a 10 gallon is when you could start to have the creativity
Meatpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:19 AM   #4 
kailey11293

i see, well thank you for the replies that makes sense about the snails. hmm well if i ever decide to upgrade maybe then i'll think about a tank mate for my little fishie!

thanks again :D
Old 06-20-2008, 12:22 AM   #5 
iamntbatman

I think if you got a 5 gallon tank, you could put a snail in there, although you'd have to be careful and make sure the betta doesn't bother it. You *might* be able to keep a couple of small fish with the betta, as well. If you got a 10g tank, though, that'd be a different story, as you'd have room for even a small school of other fish.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:09 PM   #6 
kailey11293

hmm i see well thank you i may consider upgrading in the future