Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2013, 05:32 PM   #1 
Tabby216

Talking She Finally eats!

After a few weeks of fasting she has ate her omega one flakes and blood worms! I'm so happy! She seems to like them and even searched the ground floor for more food.

I've also recently put a small air stone in the tank and she seems to not be scared by it in fact she is often times going near it and by a few minutes she started playing with the bubbles produced by it.

Anyways here's a pic. I placed the air stone in the corner next to the filter. Does the tank look over crowded?

Any other recommendations gladly accept!
Attached Images

Tabby216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:37 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Too crowded?! Not at all! In fact, I say put ALL the plants in there! Haha

Betta's naturally swim in rice patties, the bettas basically weave in and out of the plants all day! But definitely loving that sword in the back. The only thing I'd be careful of (and I know it doesn't happen as often with females since they have shorter fins) is that she doesn't rip her fins on the plastic plants, I do recommend silk but it's all up to you :)

She looks happy in there :D
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #3 
Tabby216

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Too crowded?! Not at all! In fact, I say put ALL the plants in there! Haha

Betta's naturally swim in rice patties, the bettas basically weave in and out of the plants all day! But definitely loving that sword in the back. The only thing I'd be careful of (and I know it doesn't happen as often with females since they have shorter fins) is that she doesn't rip her fins on the plastic plants, I do recommend silk but it's all up to you :)

She looks happy in there :D
Thank you! I don't think I want to put all the plants in there because the ones I took out looked like it harm her. The plant on the left side looks like it might rip her fins but that plant has been in there since the beginning and I haven't seen anything.

And I will definitely look for softer plants. I also need to buy a heater but every time I go to the pet store the 25W is always sold out! >.<
Old 04-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Ah yeah, I actually got my smaller heater from Walmart, it was only 14 bucks or so which isn't too bad.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:53 PM   #5 
Tabby216

I've looked at the ones at Walmart but the brand of it I'm not sure to trust it
Old 04-18-2013, 05:54 PM   #6 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Yay so happy she is finally eating ! I love your tank in fact just today I got that same cave and so excited to get it in my tank tomorrow when I do my weekly water change. My gravel is almost like yours too cause its all different colors and I am adding more blue to it also tomorrow. I do not think its to crowed at all its looks very nice ! That is awesome that she likes to play in the bubbles.

What size is your tank ? If its big enough you might be able to use a 50 watt heater. Mine is 5 gallon and I use the 50 watt.

Last edited by Perseusmom; 04-18-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:15 PM   #7 
Tabby216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
Yay so happy she is finally eating ! I love your tank in fact just today I got that same cave and so excited to get it in my tank tomorrow when I do my weekly water change. My gravel is almost like yours too cause its all different colors and I am adding more blue to it also tomorrow. I do not think its to crowed at all its looks very nice ! That is awesome that she likes to play in the bubbles.

What size is your tank ? If its big enough you might be able to use a 50 watt heater. Mine is 5 gallon and I use the 50 watt.
Mine is 5 gallon too. If I use 50W compared to the 25W whats the difference?

And about the air stone I am thinking of turning it off at night time then turning it on during day time. I hope it won't mess anything if I do that
Old 04-18-2013, 06:34 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I turn my bubble wand off at night and the fish don't mind at all. If you don't have a check valve on your tubing the water might siphon back and get into your air pump, that's the only problem unless it's above the fish tank.

Also 50 watt's of heat compared to 25 is bascially just how much heat it will put out. But they are pretty much all set to the same temp so they will shut off at the point it reaches to the temp. It doesn't necessarily use more electricity either.

By the way, I trust walmart's heaters over Aqueon and Top Fin. Both of those ones have almost fried my fish when they short circuited. I also use Marina's Heaters which i love and you can find those at PetSmart for a decent price but I still like Walmart's heaters for my bigger tanks.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:45 PM   #9 
Tabby216

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
I turn my bubble wand off at night and the fish don't mind at all. If you don't have a check valve on your tubing the water might siphon back and get into your air pump, that's the only problem unless it's above the fish tank.

Also 50 watt's of heat compared to 25 is bascially just how much heat it will put out. But they are pretty much all set to the same temp so they will shut off at the point it reaches to the temp. It doesn't necessarily use more electricity either.

By the way, I trust walmart's heaters over Aqueon and Top Fin. Both of those ones have almost fried my fish when they short circuited. I also use Marina's Heaters which i love and you can find those at PetSmart for a decent price but I still like Walmart's heaters for my bigger tanks.
My air pump is Top Fin... I'm going to detach the tubing when I turn it off then. Ah, I did not know that when I go to walmart I'll buy it.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:49 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It's not ALL Top Fin things or Aqueon things, it just so happened that those heaters I bought were faulty, of course someone else could have an entirely different experience. I still use my Aqueon tanks lol, those are great but it was just that one heater is all.

Also careful when you detach the tubing as it will most likely suck up water right away so you'll probably have to empty the tubing out after you've detached it.