Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2013, 12:14 AM   #1 
nickyc82

heating ideas for small tanks

ok, so I am currently living in a hotel for another 7 weeks. I have young veil tail, and crown tail, and my new adopted mistreated who knows what (till his fins grown back) betta. I am keeping them in smaller tanks for now until I move back home, and they get the appropriate water changes, additives and food .I got them to keep me company ( I have 2 bettas and cats at home with my hubby, and miss them terribly during the week) but I do drive 2 hrs home for the weekend, whereupon the hotel reception kindly takes care of my boys for me ( I get diff rooms sometimes). But am concerned about their heating... I try to heat my room as much as I can but can handle only so much heat! their temp usually stays low 70's, high 60's. Its not ideal. I don't want to constantly readjust their heat,and they seen not to mine these temps. they are happy, alert and active.
should I even heat more, and if so, ideas as to what to use that is not too complicated?

***they will be getting bigger tanks when I am done my internship and home permanently again***
***I know it may seem irresponsible and I should just take them home... but they get good care with me, and hubby doesn't appreciate them as much as I do...they are happy and healthy,and hilarious individual personalities*

thanks !
Attached Images

nickyc82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:22 AM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

I would get them 25w adjustable heaters. these will still be useful after you get your bigger tanks (up to 5 gallons). Amazon sells the hagen elites for around $12 ea. I think truaqua.com also have some pretty cheap ones.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:25 AM   #3 
nickyc82

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
I would get them 25w adjustable heaters. these will still be useful after you get your bigger tanks (up to 5 gallons). Amazon sells the hagen elites for around $12 ea. I think truaqua.com also have some pretty cheap ones.

Not too much for these small tanks? I think they are a gallon if not less. I don't want to cram too much in there and reduce space... Plus, the tanks arnt very high on the sides.. A normal aquarium heater may not fit...

Last edited by nickyc82; 04-19-2013 at 12:27 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:28 AM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

I'm using a 25w on a .3 gallon breeder box right now (also a temporary betta home) with no problems ^_^.
Ofcourse you should always test your heaters first with a reliable thermometer..

And personally, I believe warmth should be first priority. :) if it does seem to take up too much space, maybe you can take some of your current decoration out? Just a suggestion
Old 04-19-2013, 12:40 AM   #5 
nickyc82

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
I'm using a 25w on a .3 gallon breeder box right now (also a temporary betta home) with no problems ^_^.
Ofcourse you should always test your heaters first with a reliable thermometer..

And personally, I believe warmth should be first priority. :) if it does seem to take up too much space, maybe you can take some of your current decoration out? Just a suggestion
True. I agree. I did my full water change on everyone tonight, and temp is now at mid 70's. Technically, I would like to keep em btw 75 and 80. But dont they like to hide? Maybe I should just leave the plants in...

Im assuming heating bulb on a clamp on desk lamp would be too much? I will look into the 25w heater as well tho. perhaps you could send me a pic of how ur heater is set up in the breeder box? I would find that helpful visually.

My worry as well is that the tanks arnt deep enough for a heater.. That it will not be fully submerged, which I always thought they had to be.

Thanks!

Last edited by nickyc82; 04-19-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:53 AM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

They do have to be fully submerged. but I'm pretty sure they will fit into your tanks. I know for sure the center one is a .5 gallon, which will fit a 25w heater. so the other two should too ^_^

here's the pic for you, my EE is actually asleep. He has wedged himself between the heater and the floating plants tonight.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...ps6edefffe.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by ao; 04-19-2013 at 12:56 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:03 AM   #7 
jadaBlu

I would test that heater first in a similar size container. If you'd get them different containers like these:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Anchor-Hoc...h-Lid/16486707

I know a top fin 7.5 watt from Petsmart would work. I am using these to house some of my fish and it's going well. They are in the housewares section. If you don't continue to use them the can be hospital tanks. You could also get a low, large, clear sterilite container fill it with water float the fish in it in their containers and get an adustable heater that can be used on a bigger tank to stick in the sterilite container(you're heating the water around them).
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:34 AM   #8 
nickyc82

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-19-2013, 07:35 AM   #9 
nickyc82

wow, u guys have good ideas! I will look into to the heaters thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device