Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2013, 04:23 PM   #1 
SlateSpider

Sea Monkeys (Triops)

I recently got a pack of sea monkeys, and I followed the instructions completely. I even heated the water to 78 F with one of my tank heaters! I aerated the tank 3-4 times per day, and put the eggs in when it was time. I put the eggs in 3 days ago, and I still haven't seen any babies. Here is exactly what I've done:

Day 1: Filled Ocean-Zoo container with hot water, put packet 1 (Water Purifier) in, kept temp at 78 F with tank heater, aerated tank.
Day 2: Put packet 2 (Eggs) in tank (which was oddly wet inside... Normal? Packet 1 was dry), aerated tank.
Day 3: Aerated tank.

I've been watching the tank with a bright light, trying to see even a single baby, but nothing yet. When will they hatch? Did I do something wrong, or do I just have to wait? Did I miss something?

Thanks! I hope you can help!
SlateSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:27 PM   #2 
WolfHhowling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlateSpider View Post
I recently got a pack of sea monkeys, and I followed the instructions completely. I even heated the water to 78 F with one of my tank heaters! I aerated the tank 3-4 times per day, and put the eggs in when it was time. I put the eggs in 3 days ago, and I still haven't seen any babies. Here is exactly what I've done:

Day 1: Filled Ocean-Zoo container with hot water, put packet 1 (Water Purifier) in, kept temp at 78 F with tank heater, aerated tank.
Day 2: Put packet 2 (Eggs) in tank (which was oddly wet inside... Normal? Packet 1 was dry), aerated tank.
Day 3: Aerated tank.

I've been watching the tank with a bright light, trying to see even a single baby, but nothing yet. When will they hatch? Did I do something wrong, or do I just have to wait? Did I miss something?

Thanks! I hope you can help!
Um... sea monkeys are baby brine shrimp, don't they need salt?
WolfHhowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:19 PM   #3 
Artemis

Yes they would need salt. It's cheaper to just find some eggs at a LFS
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:22 PM   #4 
SlateSpider

Sea monkeys are similar to brine shrimp, but they are not the exact same thing. They are Triops, a member of the Brine Shrimp family.

Anyways, yes, they do. The salt comes in the packet with the eggs, I think. Either that, or the packet with the water conditioner.

I don't have an LFS around here, and Petco doesn't have Brine Shrimp eggs. I'll check the local pet shop, City Zoo...
SlateSpider is offline   Reply With Quote