Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2013, 09:30 PM   #11 
LittleBettaFish

I read somewhere triple sulfa is one of the medications a lot of bacteria have resistance to because it is so overused.

It could very well be a tumor. I had a fish get one on his side and he just wasted away as the tumor got bigger.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:33 PM   #12 
LittleBlueFishlets

Well, let's consider people, rather than fish for a moment....

Sometimes one antibiotic isn't effective. When that happens, a doctor will usually try a different medication instead. It could be that it wasn't the correct medication to treat the illness, etc. So the doctor just moves on to a different medication.

As Matt said, there are some people here who know a lot about fish diseases. It might be worth it to ask one of them about his condition, and see if they can help.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:40 AM   #13 
Artemis

It sounds like a tumor. Nothing will help it at this point though, nothing would have helped at the beginning either. Unless you want to shell out big bucks to get it removed by a fish vet (very hard to even find and a chunk of the money likely would go to gas), euthanasia is the kindest thing. I know clove oil works for most fish as it knocks them out and then you up the dosage to put them to down entirely but I don't know if it would work for bettas. It limits gill function but they would just go to the surface, however it would likely cloak the labyrinth as well.

Posting a picture will help us tell if it really is a tumor or something that could be treated.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:09 AM   #14 
LittleBlueFishlets

I looked back at the OP's recent threads.

I saw several threads about persistent fin rot and clamping for Lucky Blue. Some of those talk about using aquarium salt, oak leaves and Triple Sulfa.

I saw one thread about a white spot for a different fish. The white spot was on the fish's side (not head) though. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=116885

But I didn't see a thread about a white growth on a fish's head.

I would still like for the OP to post a photo and fill out the info sheet, or refer us back to a previous thread about the fish. I think this would allow people to determine just what's going on with this fish, and determine if euthanasia is appropriate.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote