Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2013, 11:46 PM   #1 
imlandys

New 5 gal tank help

I just set up a new 5 gal tank. There is one live plant in it that I took from my present 1 gal tank, new silk plants and a new filter. I also placed the heater from my 1 gal tank in it. I used the betta safe stuff in the water. I tested the water with the test strips and it tested ok. My question is, how long do I have to wait until I can add my betta? And the how do I had him? Do I just put him in a net and transfer him or what?

Thank You
Lisa
imlandys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:57 PM   #2 
sareena79

Im sure I will get fussed at but I let my new 5g run for about 4 days with the heater and gravel from my last "tank/bowl" and when my betta got here I floated him for a few hours in his bag then added him to the water. this is day 3 and hes doing great. hes way more active then my last betta. I will probably do about a 25% WC on Monday then start doing 50% changes weekly after that. I have test strips so I will be checking on it as I go.
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:10 AM   #3 
JellOh

Sense it's a new filter you're going to have to cycle it. Read this to lern about cycling a tank http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=111960
I would put the heater back with your betta so they stay warm and then add the heater to the 5g once it is fully cycled.
JellOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:12 AM   #4 
Tikibirds

You can add him now you will then be doing a FISH-IN cycle so you have to keep an eye on the water paramaters for several weeks.
Quote:
I floated him for a few hours in his bag then added him to the water.
Yup, that's the way to do it. You want to slowly let him get used to the new water tempature and water chemistry. Flaot him in his cup and then ever 30 minutes or so add in some tank water and then release. You want to do this everytime you cahange his water if you choose to remove him. Some people leave this fish in the tank but mine bite their tails off every time I change the water
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:25 AM   #5 
imlandys

Thank you so much for the info. He will be going from a 1 gallon to a 5 gallon and I didnt want to freak him out.
imlandys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:41 AM   #6 
VincentTH

You will have to decide whether you want to cycle your tank with the fish in it or not. The 5G tank is actually harder to cycle than, say, a 10G tank, so I would suggest you do a fishless cycle instead. But if you want to leave your betta in the 5G tank, you will have to check the Ammonia level daily, and if it is 0.50 or higher, do a 33% water change. It will take somewhere between 2 weeks (with Safe Start or if you have a plant or something from a cycled tank) or longer 4-6 weeks to cycle the new tank.
VincentTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:20 AM   #7 
VJM

As someone in the middle of cycling a tank, I am going to strongly recommend you wait until it is cycled to add your fish. Fish in cycling is hard on everyone.

There are great stickies about the nitrogen cycle and the process.

Test strips are inaccurate. Get a liquid test kit. They are cheaper on Amazon. API is the one most recommended on here.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote