Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2013, 10:28 PM   #1 
HeroicPoison

Grey head and stringy slime?

My VT just recovered from fin rot, he has been in his 1g QT tank. It's heated to 79F and he eats new life spectrum pellets.
A few days ago I noticed his colour from his head was changing to grey, and now he has slime on his plants and all over himself. I have changed his water and rinsed everything off... The next day the slime was back... I'm not sure if its just slime or if he's sick...

If you look closely you can see it on his poor grey face... What's going on with my baby?!?!
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #2 
HeroicPoison

i dont think the two things are related but i do need some info please
Is his greying part of old age?
Old 04-15-2013, 08:46 PM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

Is he back in plain water now? (With conditioner, or course.)

It could be his slime coat. He might be shedding it, as a result of using the antibiotics....

Are you using API Stress Coat? If not, try using it, or another conditioner that has an additive to protect the slime coat.

I can see some gray in the picture.... but is it the same slime stuff that's on the plants?

Is he still in the QT tank? If so, do frequent water changes, to keep the water clean.

I haven't dealt with this before, but hopefully someone will see this and reply. If it doesn't clear up after another water change, or if it looks like it's getting worse, and if no one is replying, I would send a PM to someone like Sakura8 or Olympia. (Callistra hasn't been around recently.)
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:35 PM   #4 
HeroicPoison

the slime was all over him and his stuff i havent seen any today yet i did a water change last night...
ill check again before bed. And i will add some stresscoat to his water.
Idk about the grey on his face it worries me, it goes down onto his belly and today he seems to be having some problems swimming... it appears to be his tail. He has been resting on his betta bed all day, he does swim a little but not as much as he used to and he has stopped making his bubble nests.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:47 PM   #5 
LittleBlueFishlets

I wonder if the gray is stress stripes. Does he have horizontal stripes that are paler in color than the rest of him? Can you get a side view picture of him?
Old 04-15-2013, 10:50 PM   #6 
HeroicPoison

for sure i can.. i dont notice any other colour change but ill go snap one right now
Old 04-15-2013, 11:05 PM   #7 
HeroicPoison

Ok this one shows the grey and how it's travelled down his belly

And here's his side shot
Old 04-18-2013, 12:37 AM   #8 
HeroicPoison

Slime has gone away :)
but he still is very grey and swimming funny, very lethargic and kinda jumpy
Old 04-18-2013, 02:04 AM   #9 
LittleBlueFishlets

1) Does he look any different now?
2) How often are you changing the water?
3) Can you describe how he's swimming?
4) Is he eating at all?
Old 04-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #10 
IvyGreen

Reading your description of your fish, I think my betta fish has the same thing as yours. I treated him for fin rot a few months ago and for the past month or so he has been shedding his slime coat within 24 hours of a water change. He seemed to not be acting different, so I thought it was just him adjusting to new water. But recently he got worse so I poked around this site a little more. Based on what I've read here, my guess is that my fish has either fungus or a slime coat infection. So I am treating him with aquarium salt and colder water. Maybe your fish has one of those? Read the stickies on them! :)
PS. Disclaimer: I have no expertise on betta fish, this is just my educated guess based on my own experience and googling.
IvyGreen is offline   Reply With Quote