Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2013, 06:21 PM   #11 
Minnieservis

I had him in a divided tank until yesterday when all of these symptoms started, could my other fish be affected? He seems fine right now. Will Epsom salt help with the fin rot? I'm so worried, this all happened so quickly, he seemed perfectly. Thank you so much for all your help so far!
Minnieservis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:28 PM   #12 
HeroicPoison

I'd do a 100% water change in your other tank... Clean everything in the tank just to make sure if there is something in there it doesn't spread as badly. If you have nutrafin new cycle add some of that to the water to add good bacteria to your tank. Watch that fish closely for any signs of sickness.
Epsom salt isn't a treatment for fin rot but clean warm water daily should really help it get better. Treat the eyes first, if the fin rot persists worry about that later.
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:54 PM   #13 
Minnieservis

Ok thank you I will buy some nutra fin new cycle tonight. As far as the Epsom salt goes, just any generic form will be ok?
Old 04-19-2013, 07:01 PM   #14 
HeroicPoison

yes just make sure it is unscented and has no additives... just plain epsom salt.
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:25 AM   #15 
Minnieservis

UPDATE

Bayard my halfmoon double tail has improved tremendously. He's fins don't have any red trim and seem to be healing. His eyes are no longer puffy although they seem darker than before. He still has two days left of treatment.

Two days after I began treating him, I discovered his tank mate Absolem had come down with the same issues. I had completely cleaned their tank and set it back up and he seemed fine as could be, went out one day and came home and within a few hours he had gotten awful. He's currently in a hospital tank as well. He still has problems with his eyes, but I think his fins are improving. It's hard to tell since he is a crowntail and has red coloring.

I'm very optimistic that they will both have a full recovery and I cannot thank you enough for your help!!! This is my first time ever having to treat a betta so I've been very nervous. Plus having to do two complete water changes every night has been daunting, tho I'd do anything to make them better! They seem very active as of yesterday and they were both flaring up a storm last night when their cups were next to each other during the water change. I will add some pictures also :) thank you again!
Old 04-26-2013, 09:34 AM   #16 
Minnieservis

They were both in small cups for their water change

Bayard a few days ago

Bayard last night

Absolem last night (I don't have a picture from when he first got sick)

The two of them flaring :)
Old 04-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #17 
Minnieservis

UPDATE AND HELP NEEDED ***

It seems as tho Bayard is completely fine, his eyes look like normal and his fins, although smaller, seem to be healing perfectly.

I am still worried about Absolem, his eyes are still large and it is very hard to tell but I do believe there is still red tips to his fins. Tomorrow is day 10 of his treatment and I don't think he is better yet. What is my next step as far as treatment goes for him? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-01-2013, 09:29 PM   #18 
Minnieservis

Does anyone have any suggestions on what my next steps should be for Absolem? His eyes are still puffy and he still has some fin rot :(