Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2013, 05:06 PM   #1 
Lena N

Has anybody used small (look like Terracotta Clay) Pot from Walmart for tank

Hello, I wanted to get very small Terracotta Clay Pot for one of my Betta as he has no where to hide from flow. And I found really small one (about 2" high) for 80c in Walmart in craft department. It doesnt have any hole though and even it looks like Terracota I am not sure it really is as it is not heavy at all. So I do not know now if safe to use it...
Questions are:
Has anybody used those?
Do you know another place where to buy very small pots made of real Terracotta?
Thank you.Name:  2013-04-28_140434.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  30.1 KB
Lena N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:49 PM   #2 
Briz

Real terracotta pots are safe to use as long as they haven't been in contact with substances that you wouldn't put into the tank -- the clay is porous. African Dwarf frogs like to use these pots more than Bettas, but you're free to try to tempt him.

I got 3 of the small terracotta pots from a Dollar Tree store for $1.
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:23 PM   #3 
emeraldsky

I bought mine from either Orchard supply or home depot, I cant remember.
Any garden supply store will have them though, in different sizes as well.

It was safe though, I used them in all my tanks which at the time had more sensitive creatures than bettas.
emeraldsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:23 AM   #4 
Lena N

Briz I called the company they say it is made from Terracotta. I made a cave from it already. It will be really upseting if my Betta will not want to hide there. So much efforts... :). I was in Dollor tree, they do not have them anymore. Walmart in garden area right now has small terracotta pots which are 2" for 32c (probably in all the stores).
And in craft area there are bigger ones which are 3", without hole in the bottom. They are around 70c each. Actually I was asking exactly about these, I made mistake writing they were 2". They are 3". Only I do not think they have these in all Walmart stores.

Last edited by Lena N; 05-01-2013 at 02:37 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:27 AM   #5 
Lena N

emeraldsky Thank you! I have not found them in Home Depot. But I found more in Walmart. I bought some of them and placed even small terracotta plates in tanks. Plates were 28c. Very small... If my Betta will not hide it 3" terracotta pot I will be upset...
Old 05-01-2013, 02:33 AM   #6 
wish4coner

I bought a bunch of those from walmart. I use them in my bare bottom tanks to put plants in. 3 of my female bettas in my 2nd female sorority love it and hide in there all the time. I tried using them in my breeding bin but, they were too tall, sideways. I ended up getting little bamboo vases--1.25 that are oblong but, have enough room for the female to use as a cave or hiding spot. Worked out well.
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:51 AM   #7 
NozzALa

I want to get one of these for the next betta I get. My current betta has one of those little rock caves from Walmart and I wanted a hidey hole for my next one, just not the same thing. Haven't been able to find the right size though. They are either too big or the size of a shot glass. I need slightly bigger.
NozzALa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:04 AM   #8 
Lena N

Quote:
Originally Posted by NozzALa View Post
I want to get one of these for the next betta I get. My current betta has one of those little rock caves from Walmart and I wanted a hidey hole for my next one, just not the same thing. Haven't been able to find the right size though. They are either too big or the size of a shot glass. I need slightly bigger.
As to size I think these 3" tall are the best. I do not know if it is made from organic clay, but the fact that it doesnt have hole is good as Betta will not try to skwish through it. If you want you can call your Walmart, item
Sku # o_ 2899519164_ o. Smth like 70c.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:06 AM   #9 
Lena N

wish4coner Oh, I have some now too. Placed them in 2 tanks...
Old 05-01-2013, 06:43 AM   #10 
Backlash

I just bought some cheap ($1 each) coffee cups to use as caves for my boys..

I thought about terracotta pots, but I wasnt sure if the rough surface would damage their fins..

The coffee cups have a smooth surface, so hopefully no problems there, and they come in lots of bright colours (if you are that way inclined)..
Backlash is offline   Reply With Quote