Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-15-2008, 10:44 AM   #1 
amyw16

New Betta Fish Question

We purchased a crowntail betta fish 5 days ago. We have a 2.5 gallon tank, a filter, thermometer, heater, two fake plants, and a castle with a cave.
Up until yesterday, "Sam" was doing great. He was swimming around and checking out everything in the tank. He was eating pellets twice a day from the first day we got him. I keep the hood light on during the day and turn it off at night. The temp. of the water stays between 70-80 degrees.
Yesterday he didn't eat and we didn't see much of him. Today he's only coming out of his cave to come to the surface and go back down. He won't eat.
I don't know what could be wrong. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.
amyw16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 11:03 AM   #2 
bettaboy
Banned

try removing the cave and seeing if he will eat.
bettaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 11:29 AM   #3 
okiemavis

Hello and welcome to fishforum! Congrats on the new betta, I'm sure he will be a happy and long-lasting friend.

If he's hiding, it's probably for a reason. I'm guessing he's stressed out, so moving around the tank right now will probably only stress him out more.

What are your water parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrates? Since you say it's a new tank and he's been in it for 5 days I'm guessing that your water has built up ammonia and nitrites, which is making him sick. Have you done any water changes? I'd recommend testing your water and THEN doing a 50% water change.

Also, 70-80 degrees is a big temperature swing. I assume it's because you have an incandescent light in the hood which is causing the temperature to swing drastically? A lot of those small tanks do. He should be at a constant temperature of 78-80 degrees, as he is a tropical fish.

Here's a link to basic betta care. You can use it as a checklist to see what you've got and what you may be missing:
http://www.fishforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=17558
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 12:04 PM   #4 
cajunmomof4

I have to agree with okie, he is probably sluggish from high ammonia. most of the experts here recommend API liquid test kits. But if you are not going to try to cycle his tank you can probably get a kit (or strips)that will just test for ammonia.
cajunmomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 12:20 PM   #5 
bettaboy
Banned

But he might not be eating because he cant see the food? Or he may have thought the cave was a tunnel and is looking for the exit.... it can be a number of things. Generally its good for a cave in any tank to have 2 holes at least.
bettaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:52 PM   #6 
amyw16

Still not eating or swimming around

Thanks for the help.

The cave does actually go into tunnels. It's a castle that sits on a rock. The rock has a hole in the middle. The cave/tunnels are are in the rock. There is a tunnel that goes above and below the hole and comes out on the other side. I'll try to add a picture.

I had to get some test kits. They didn't have any water test kits, just strips. I'll have to go to an actual pet store. Before I could get those, I went ahead and changed 50% of the water and cleaned out the uneaten food.

He's now haning out in the middle of the tank, but not swimming and still not eating. I wait until he comes to the surface to drop in food, but he still doesn't eat it.

I didn't think to save some of the old water to test it now that I have some strips.

How long should it take him to recover? Does that depend on how high the different levels were?
Old 06-15-2008, 08:47 PM   #7 
okiemavis

He should perk up soon if you continue the tank maintenance. I'd make sure to be doing 50% water changes AT LEAST 2 times a week.

It does depend on the ammonia levels, and how high the ammonia was. Ammonia is highly caustic and burns gills, fins, etc, so give him a chance to heal. The fact that he's come out of hiding is a good sign- I highly doubt he could get lost in the cave. Hiding places are good- it gives him somewhere to go if he's feeling scared or vulnerable.

You should go ahead and test the water now, as there may still be some ammonia. Keep doing daily 50% changes (using water conditioner!) until the ammonia is down to zero.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 11:24 PM   #8 
amyw16

Hood Light?

I'm going to do a 50% water change again tomorrow and then re-check the levels. I'll keep you posted on that.
He's still not eating, but does seem to be swimming a little more than he was earlier.
I had a question about the hood light too. I read on a website, that I've looked at over the past week, that I should try to replicate day and night with the hood light. Leaving the light on for about 10-12 hrs. a day. Then I downloaded an e-book about Betta care and it says that they like well-lit tanks and that hood lights are good especially at night.
I have been turning the light on during the day and off at night. Should I be leaving it on all the time to keep the tank bright?
Old 06-15-2008, 11:36 PM   #9 
Cody

What you are doing is the perfect way. 10 hours a day for lights on, and the rest off. Fish, like humans, need day and night cycles, and leaving a light on all night isn't what you should do.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:58 PM   #10 
amyw16

HE FINALLY ATE

Sam finally ate today. Twice actually. He's looking a lot better and not hiding anymore. The ammonia level is almost down to zero. We're working on that, and I've downloaded the e-book "The Betta Bible" so I've got a better idea of what I'm doing.
I also bought a thermometer that you can set the temp. with rather than one that just keeps running and allows the temp. to swing too much.
Thank you to everyone who gave advice. Sam wouldn't have made it through without your help and I would have a disappointed 1 1/2 yr. old son on my hands. I acutally think I'm enjoying the fish even more than he does though!!