Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-21-2013, 11:34 AM   #1 
sainthogan

another example of how unreliable the stick on thermometers are

For experimental purposes, I have a stick on thermometer on the outside of one of my tanks, and one inside the tank side by side. We have had a recent cold spell, and the temperature in my room is 68. At this very moment, the stick on thermometer is reading 71 while the one inside is reading 77. That's a 6 degree difference! If I was only relying on the stick on thermometer, I would think that my fish is freezing and crank up her heater possibly frying her. The in tank thermometers are SO much more reliable, please consider buying those instead of the outside ones. If I can get the lighting right, I'll post a picture later to show the differences in the 2 thermometers.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #2 
registereduser

Yeah, I learned my lesson on that awhile ago. A few of the stick on ones I bought didn't even register a temp at all! (Petco brand sucks).
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #3 
sainthogan

Ok, so it's a little blurry, but the stick on one is reading 72 now, and the in tank one is reading between 76 and 77. For the in tank thermometer, the top of the green section is 82.
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2013, 11:59 AM   #4 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Thanks for sharing because you are so right everyone needs the inside thermometer and not the outside ones. You can have both I do because when I first got my tank I didnt realize the outside one just wasnt going to give me the correct right temp of the water. My inside thermometer is just like yours it does a great job always correct, I take it out sometimes and check it to make sure its working.
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #5 
Myates

I have two stick on thermometers.. one as a test (on my plant growing tank) and another tank came with it on there (got it used). I too have seen differences as great as 5, 6 degrees. Definitely not recommended to use those sticker ones!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:22 PM   #6 
JellOh

Wow! I had one with my first tank and quickly got rid of it because I couldn't read it. Does anyone know how accurate the digital thermometers are?
JellOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #7 
nel3

i never relied on the sticker therms though i do use them on the tank for suriousity but i rely on the intank ones also. i only have 1 sticker therm that came with the 5g any others i purchased in tank models.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #8 
ryancalif

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthogan View Post
For experimental purposes, I have a stick on thermometer on the outside of one of my tanks, and one inside the tank side by side. We have had a recent cold spell, and the temperature in my room is 68. At this very moment, the stick on thermometer is reading 71 while the one inside is reading 77. That's a 6 degree difference! If I was only relying on the stick on thermometer, I would think that my fish is freezing and crank up her heater possibly frying her. The in tank thermometers are SO much more reliable, please consider buying those instead of the outside ones. If I can get the lighting right, I'll post a picture later to show the differences in the 2 thermometers.
These stick-on thermometers are meant to go on glass tanks, not acrylic. Do you have a glass tank or acrylic?

I have a stick on, and floating thermometer. Both read exactly the same temperature.
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:33 PM   #9 
sainthogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryancalif View Post
These stick-on thermometers are meant to go on glass tanks, not acrylic. Do you have a glass tank or acrylic?

I have a stick on, and floating thermometer. Both read exactly the same temperature.
It's acrylic, but most people don't know that they are only supposed to go on glass. I still have the package mine came in, and it doesn't say it's only for glass, it just says it's for aquariums. That's why I think it's a good idea to let people know of the discrepancies in the temperature readings, because most people are going to use acrylic tanks, and like my stick on thermometer, it's probably not going to tell you to use it only on glass tanks.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #10 
ryancalif

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthogan View Post
That's why I think it's a good idea to let people know of the discrepancies in the temperature readings, because most people are going to use acrylic tanks, and like my stick on thermometer, it's probably not going to tell you to use it only on glass tanks.
I think you're right.

I'm really surprised these companies don't specifically mention it. The thermal conductivity of plastic is much lower than that of glass...
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote