Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2013, 06:13 AM   #1 
BettaNubRandyLove

Constipated betta

I got my halfmoon a while ago, Ive never seen him use the bathroom. He suddenly has a huge stomache. My bettas moving perfectly fine. I feed him aquaeon pellets. 2-4 pellets a day. (usually 3) What can I do to help him? Will changing his food help?
BettaNubRandyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:36 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Do you fast him at all? I would fast him for a couple days to see if his belly goes down. When you clean his tank you don't find any poo? I rarely see my Bettas actually doing their business but I find poo when I clean their tanks.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:02 AM   #3 
BettaNubRandyLove

Rarely I find poo.I fast him on thursdays. Im going to fast him for a couple days but if it doesnt work what should I do?
BettaNubRandyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #4 
LittleBlueFishlets

The Aqueon pellets are ok, but they contain a lot of grains. Some bettas are sensitive to these, and can become constipated and bloated.

I would fast him today and then switch him to a higher protein food. The two most often recommended foods on this forum are New Life Spectrum Betta pellets and Omega One Betta Buffet pellets.

One of my guys had issues with constipation and bloating when getting Aquueon. After switching over to Omega One, he's been fine.

Petco carries both New Life Spectrum and Omega One. Petsmart carries just Omega One.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 04-20-2013 at 09:46 AM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:38 AM   #5 
VJM

After the fast, you could also try live or frozen (not freeze dried) brine shrimp.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote