Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2013, 06:01 PM   #1 
AyalaCookiejar

Tetra 3 gallon cubes and safe start

Okay, so I see a lot of posts here of people who have those 1.5 gallon cubes and they look really nice, but 1.5 is too small for my liking. I spend a lot of time in the fish section in my walmart, lol, and it kind of leaves a lot to be desired, but when I went in today, they actually had those 3 gallon cubes and not just the 1.5s!!

So my question is, for any of you who have used the three gallon cube or the 1.5 (I'm assuming the only difference is size) how did you like it? What about the lighting and the filter it comes with?

Also, the tetra safestart; is it completely safe to add the whole bottle to a tank with a fish and a snail in it? I just bought a bottle of safestart because I've heard it works great for some people and not so great for others. I decided I'd try it. If it doesn't work, oh well. It was only $7. BTW, it says for tanks 20 gallons or under and I'm planning on using it in a 5.5 gallon with one male betta and a nerite snail.

AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:15 PM   #2 
ryancalif

I found that you dont need to add the whole bottle. When I cycled my 5.5 gallon tank, I used about 1/3 of the bottle (bottle treats 30 gallons). That amount worked just fine. My cycle was stabilized in a little under a week, with good results the very next morning.
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #3 
AyalaCookiejar

Thanks.

I was just wondering if it would hurt? I know that the bottle isn't good after it's been opened so that's why I was wondering. If I use half then the other half will get thrown away, lol, which isn't a big deal.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:53 PM   #4 
ryancalif

No, it won't hurt it.

The only thing that happens by adding the whole bottle is that your tank will have too many bacteria for the ammonia load. The excess bacteria will just die off and the existing bacterial colonies will stabilize based on the available food supply (ammonia). Basically, you'd just be wasting money.
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:20 AM   #5 
Briz

My first tank was the Tetra 1.5 cube, and I recently got the 3 gallon one to try to plant it.

The 3 gallon is around the same height as the 1.5 but larger in width/length. The filter included is a Whisper filter that takes small filter cartridge size, but it's powered by an included air pump. I did not like this as the air pump makes a little noise, but I am used to the 1.5's pump which was motor powered. The light for the 3 gallon can be attached to any side, although I had trouble getting it on. The lid is fine, but you may need to tape/cover a few holes.

I returned the 3 gallon because I didn't like the filter and I could get a 5.5 tank for half of what the 3 gallon tank cost, and the 3 gallon cube wasn't tall enough for medium/tall height plants.
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote