Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #1 
bniebetta

UV? Boiling? Baking? Canning Salt? High Temp?

What is the best way to clean everything in a tank?? Can I use all of these methods? Will an infected plated tank just be okay over time? How do I know?
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #2 
mermaid77

Hi...:)
I did happen to read your other thread...and I understand your concern is a possible Mycobacterium Marinum infection...This is not from personal experience, but most of the articles I came across on the net suggest to simply start anew...with everything. Tank, buckets, siphons...everything...
It seems that this bacteria is able to withstand heat (though it will not grow over temps of 37C/99F ),bleach and dry conditions...while others say bleaching can be successful they still claim it's not suggested...very special care must be taken to disinfect every single little thing that was ever in contact with the infected fish...
I know your fish died suddenly (so sorry for your loss :( )...though there is a small chance this might've been the cause...she didn't display all the other telltale signs that are said to go along with it...which again is often the case, but unfortunately, to know for sure would've required a vet to inspect her internal organs....
With that in mind, if there's any way you could maybe have the plant tested by a lab or vet for any existing Myco bacteria, that would probably save you a lot of work and/or expenses if you do decide to chuck it all out....as well as help with your own peace of mind for yourself and your remaining fish...
Please keep your own safety in mind first and foremost!
Best of luck to you...and hopefully, those little beasts were not the culprits...they're an aquarist's worst nightmare...
mermaid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:31 AM   #3 
mermaid77

Read up on this thread, proper measures of disinfecting your tank are explained on the last pages...:)
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....t=mycobacteria
mermaid77 is offline   Reply With Quote